Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:29 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,958,407 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I have been looking at places to stay for our "trip", if we can pull it off this year. I have places booked in VT, Salem, MA and Boston...I cant really figure out where to stay in NH. I had booked us a room in Chesterfield, but the more I think about the location, it isnt that much into the state. It is closer to the Vermont side. I found a few hotels in Portsmouth, and then one in Bedford. Can anyone give me their thoughts on these hotels and maybe some other places to stay. We want to stay in the southern part of the state, as after we leave NH we are going to Salem,MA.

These are just few I have looked at;
SHERATON PORTSMOUTH HARBORSIDE
HILTON GARDEN INN PORTSMOUTH
COMFORT INN PORTSMOUTH
Quality Inn Manchester Airport (Bedford)

Any help you guys can give me, would mean a lot to me. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 02:36 PM

472 posts, read 1,710,474 times
I stayed at the Homewood Suites in Manchester, near the airport. It was very nice indeed. It's a typical business person's chain hotel, with all the usual stuff, but extremely clean, comfortable, and value for money. All the staff people were exceptionally nice. I'd stay there again. The only downside is the noise of the airport, but I use earplugs at night, so I slept well. I used tripadvisor to look at the available hotels-- they have lots of pictures and reviews.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:48 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,140,515 times
a good friend got married in Salem,MA - you'll love it there...

you are correct in thinking that Chesterfield is not close to anything.

You are better off sticking closer to Portsmouth or even getting a hotel in Manchester. The one at the airport that you mentioned is OK, but there are a lot to choose from in the South Willow St. area which is right next to the Mall of NH. Also, Salem, MA is only approximately an hour away. Salem, NH might also be an option, it's on the MA line, but has hotels and shopping available.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:54 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,330,568 times
Oh boy I am so excited-Suzet is going to check out Portsmouth-goodie!!!!

I believe my husband stayed at the Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside when his company had an off-site retreat. If I remember correctly-the hotel was nice and the location was good. I will check with him tonight.

Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth is downtown and while I have never stayed there it looks nice when I have driven by.

Comfort Inn Portsmouth-if I am not mistaken that is near the trffic circle and not downtown.

If you want a real feel and be able to walk around Portsmouth- I would go with one of the first two as they are downtown.

I don't know about the Qualty Inn but I do know on the back road leading to the Manchester Airport-Perimeter Road-there are a few newer hotels. There are also some on nearby South Willow Street. The Courtyard Marriott is there and recently remodeled. We stayed there last winter when we had a 5:00 am flight and it was a snowstorm-so we did not have to drive and it was fine.

Nicolem

Old 08-15-2008, 03:19 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,373 times
Default Well since I worked at the hotels in Portsmouth, I feel somewhat qualified :)

Out of the ones you mentioned, go with the Sheraton - it is on the waterfront and you can then walk the downtown and get a real feel of the city. It is probably within a block or two of the Friendly Toast as well.

When again are you coming? I might be able to "run" into you (literally not figuratively) LOL. I am sure between Valerie and I we can fix you up in Portsmouth without a problem. Dover is about 15 minutes north of Portsmouth and they have several new hotels right off the Turnpike, if Portsmouth is full or too expensive. Even though it will be cheaper than summer rates, it is right about leaf-peeping time so it might be a tad more expensive than off season rates.

DM if you want more details

Old 08-15-2008, 03:21 PM

311 posts, read 995,935 times
Sheraton Portsmouth fur shur!

Old 08-15-2008, 03:23 PM

282 posts, read 1,186,527 times
I don't know what your budget is like for your trip...but if you want to splurge and you want the ultimate hotel in the seacoast area, check out the newly renovated/rehabed Wentworth by the Sea Hotel in New Castle. I have one word for you....AWESOME!!! Wentworth by the Sea - a Marriott Hotel & Spa

It is expensive, but for a special night or two....very worth it! They may have some good package deals, I am not sure. Have fun on your trip!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:36 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,330,568 times
Just confirmed with my husband that it was the Sheraton that he stayed at and like NH2NCMom and newhampshiregirl-he highly recommends it!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:55 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
Whoo Hoo Suzet's coming to NH soon!!! My vote is for the Sheraton Portsmouth because it's close to everything, so you'll be able to walk around a bit and see the sights. AngelaK beat me to it--since you're so close, really it would be nice to stay at Wentworth by the Sea, it's a destination in itself After all, we are trying to sell the seacoast area to DH, right? As your trip gets closer, we'll plan out your routes for you for maximum viewing and driving pleasure

Old 08-16-2008, 09:38 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,453,005 times
While it looks like the Sheraton Portsmouth is getting so many recommendations, I was going to plug the Hilton Garden Inn but only in general, not the Portsmouth location in particular. We recently stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn on LI and couldn't have been happier w/the place overall. But like I said, it's a totally different location altogether. I'm excited to see you getting more plans underway and hope you finally get to take the trip you've been anticipating for so long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire