Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:07 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times

Advertisements

Wow, I'm getting great ideas, thanks! We do have to buy a twin bed for our older daughter pretty soon, so I'm on the lookout for a good local furniture store. We don't mind consignment stores either. As for food, as soon as I can get my bearings, I need to calculate how to bring down our grocery bill. I'm not that familiar with the mainstream grocers here yet. We used to shop almost exclusively at Trader Joes, so I'm just not familiar with prices outside of that. I just got our first full week's groceries at Hannaford and spent almost 40% over our usual weekly average. Granted, I did buy prepared dinner at the same time, but most of it was staples. And I hardly bought any produce, so I'm choking and scratching my head at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post
Agree, agree, agree! We just bought DD's new bunk bed (twin on top, double on the bottom) from a local furniture maker up the street; we buy all our veggies from the local farm (for less than half of what the grocery store charges), eggs from the farm market, etc. We buy as many local foods as I can find, even if they cost a bit more (my new favorite is Kate's butter, made in Maine -- a bit more costly but I made DH do a taste test and there was just no comparison.) I just make sure to squeeze every bit out of the food that I can -- I have scraps and bones from 2 local chickens in my freezer for stock; ditto for lobster shells, etc. for a lobster bisque.

Not only is it more convenient to shop at the local hardware store than a big box store (because of where we are located) but I, too, have found better service and knowledge -- no surprise! Same with the local auto shop -- and courtesy rides home or a courtesy loaner vehicle. Though the Dealerships say they give you loaners, they were never available when I needed them and they were only for jobs that would take several days.

Local Local local -- support your local economy and small business owners!!!

This is a really cool site for anyone interested in eating local. It's about eating as much as you can from within 100 miles of your location -- there's a nifty little tool that draws a 100 mile radius for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,700 times
I thought the local corner hardware store was totally killed off by Lowe's and Home Depot until I moved to NH. I have a corner hardware at the end of my street which I frequently go to. You can spend an hour in Home depot looking for 1 thing, it's very hard to find someone to help you, and half the time they can't answer your questions. The local guys know what you need, find it in a couple of seconds, and you're in and out, unless you end up staying for a little conversation....

Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
In Londonderry I grocery shop at both Shaw’s and Hannaford’s depending on what I need. I have my cars repaired at LBP towing near the corner of Rt 28 and auburn road in north Londonderry. I have known the owner since he was in high school. He and his mechanics do a good job and back up their work. I use Messier and Lesseur (sp?) on West Hollis St in Nashua for tires. All these are local shops and provide great service at decent prices. Please consider this as endorsements and not advertising.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
I thought the local corner hardware store was totally killed off by Lowe's and Home Depot until I moved to NH. I have a corner hardware at the end of my street which I frequently go to. You can spend an hour in Home depot looking for 1 thing, it's very hard to find someone to help you, and half the time they can't answer your questions. The local guys know what you need, find it in a couple of seconds, and you're in and out, unless you end up staying for a little conversation....

No kidding. Today I went to both Target and Lowe's looking for that little screen you put over the drain in your shower to catch hair. Neither had it. The guy at the Lowe's said it was one of those not often sought, hard to find items. People were helpful, they just didn't have what I needed. Guess I'm going to the local hardware store.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
In Londonderry I grocery shop at both Shaw’s and Hannaford’s depending on what I need. I have my cars repaired at LBP towing near the corner of Rt 28 and auburn road in north Londonderry. I have known the owner since he was in high school. He and his mechanics do a good job and back up their work. I use Messier and Lesseur (sp?) on West Hollis St in Nashua for tires. All these are local shops and provide great service at decent prices. Please consider this as endorsements and not advertising.
GregW, I gorcery shop in Bedford, and there's only Stop and Shop and Hannaford. Do these stores put out circulars every week?

thanks for the rec. on auto mechanics. Good ones are always hard to find!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:20 PM

92 posts, read 242,496 times
Good for you

I have always believed in helping the local businessman/woman.

Do you ever find that their customer service is much better too???

Not only that but these strip malls , big shopping malls are an eye sore on the landscape

Old 08-26-2008, 12:54 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
One of my favorite stores to get little things like that is Saigon Market, the Oriental grocery in Manchester. I was having a hard time finding the screens to put in the kitchen sink, and that's where I ended up finding them, along with lots of other kitchen items. I buy about 90% of my spices there as well as produce, baby bok choy, ginger, etc. because it's so much fresher than the regular grocery store. And it's great to find cool exotic fruits like leechee (spelling?) and other things that are not in your typical grocery. Note: it doesn't feel like a bistro like Hannafords does, it's a little grungy and gritty. But for me, that's part of what I like about it, having enjoyed some of the best meals of my life in Chinatown, having my stuff ordered not from the menu, but by a friend who has traveled to China many times, and has now brought home a wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
No kidding. Today I went to both Target and Lowe's looking for that little screen you put over the drain in your shower to catch hair. Neither had it. The guy at the Lowe's said it was one of those not often sought, hard to find items. People were helpful, they just didn't have what I needed. Guess I'm going to the local hardware store.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:11 PM

92 posts, read 242,496 times
That is right Valerie

Don't eat Chinese food but used to work in china town in Boston and I got to know many Chinese restaurant owners.

They all said that the Chinese food they serve in most restaurants is not what they would eat in China.

They said they could never eat what they give to most Americans and that most Americans would be surprised to see real Chinese food

Well there is a place called I think now China pearl and that is one place where all the Chinese go for food away from tourists.
I looked at the food and thought

In England I took my wife to a Chinese reastaurant and she found that the lo mein is actually called chow mein and vica versa

Old 08-26-2008, 01:47 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,558 times
Quote:
Wow, I'm getting great ideas, thanks! We do have to buy a twin bed for our older daughter pretty soon, so I'm on the lookout for a good local furniture store. We don't mind consignment stores either.
Same here! For awhile I thought we were going to get one we saw on Craigs' List in Nashua but I decided I really wanted the double bed on the bottom for when guests visit. Freecycle.org is also a good resourse sometimes.

Quote:
As for food, as soon as I can get my bearings, I need to calculate how to bring down our grocery bill. I'm not that familiar with the mainstream grocers here yet. We used to shop almost exclusively at Trader Joes, so I'm just not familiar with prices outside of that. I just got our first full week's groceries at Hannaford and spent almost 40% over our usual weekly average. Granted, I did buy prepared dinner at the same time, but most of it was staples. And I hardly bought any produce, so I'm choking and scratching my head at the same time.
I really miss Trader Joe's. My SIL just brought me a case of Two-buck Chuck when she came to visit this past weekend! I found we spent a lot at Hannafords the first few times I shopped there because a) I was replacing a lot of pantry staples and b) I was enthralled with a lot of cool new products I'd never seen before like various yogurts from vermont and canada, and all the Vermont BUtter & Cheese Co. offerings that we didn't have in Maryland. We reigned it in after a few trips though. Some folks I've met recommended Market Basket but I didn't think it was all that compared to Hannafords -- to me, not worth the extra 15 minute drive, anyway.

Oh - Hannafords Inspirations brand Gelato is pretty darned good, fyi.

~ NDQ

Old 08-26-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
One of my favorite stores to get little things like that is Saigon Market, the Oriental grocery in Manchester. I was having a hard time finding the screens to put in the kitchen sink, and that's where I ended up finding them, along with lots of other kitchen items. I buy about 90% of my spices there as well as produce, baby bok choy, ginger, etc. because it's so much fresher than the regular grocery store. And it's great to find cool exotic fruits like leechee (spelling?) and other things that are not in your typical grocery. Note: it doesn't feel like a bistro like Hannafords does, it's a little grungy and gritty. But for me, that's part of what I like about it, having enjoyed some of the best meals of my life in Chinatown, having my stuff ordered not from the menu, but by a friend who has traveled to China many times, and has now brought home a wife

OMG, there's an Asian market in Manchester?? Hallelujah!! Whereabouts?

Where's the happy dance smilie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire