Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 AM

39 posts, read 150,571 times

Advertisements

Okay...

This is going to sound like a dumb question, so please bear with me! I've noticed that when scoping out this message board, many NH residents allude to brief periods of humidity during the summers; and that window A/C units & ceiling fans do the trick to beat the heat. So how common are apartments/homes with central A/C units? I've pretty much grown up with CA/C in upstate NY and have had it in my last (and current) apartment. I was just wondering. Thank you in advance!

VM13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 12:01 PM

909 posts, read 3,366,975 times
We have it, but it sounded like it wasn't a given here. We mainly used it while we were painting so the paint would be easier to spread. And I think we also used it when shampooing the carpet so it would dry more quickly. Otherwise we just kept the windows open. But we moved in mid Aug. It might've been worse earlier in the summer.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:17 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,183,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Monkey13 View Post
Okay...

This is going to sound like a dumb question, so please bear with me! I've noticed that when scoping out this message board, many NH residents allude to brief periods of humidity during the summers; and that window A/C units & ceiling fans do the trick to beat the heat. So how common are apartments/homes with central A/C units? I've pretty much grown up with CA/C in upstate NY and have had it in my last (and current) apartment. I was just wondering. Thank you in advance!

VM13
I don't know, but I think it will depend on where in NH you are - we're in northern NH and have just used window units - although this past summer, we didn't put them in or need them at all. We're originally from NYS (mid-hudson region) where we used a/c from May through October, so it's been a nice change, not needing it up here Many houses we see up here use window units. I don't "do well" with heat and humidity, so for me to be comfortable with just the window units and fans says a lot

Old 10-17-2008, 12:20 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,219,395 times
I was surprised when I moved from Minnesota, which most new construction has central AC, to New England where it's not all that common.

I really WISH I had the duct work for central AC in southern NH.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:29 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,337,958 times
We have central air in our year-old townhouse. My husband and I are more affected by the humidity than most up here it seems. I can handle the extreme cold much more than humidity. When we lived in Concord it was worse as there was more humidity as Concord is in a valley. Now that we live in the Lakes region, it is less humid than Concord. However, given the choice and the means, I would have it. To give you an idea, it is 53 here now and I have all the windows open, no heat on and I am loving it

Old 10-17-2008, 12:47 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,254,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
We have central air in our year-old townhouse. My husband and I are more affected by the humidity than most up here it seems. I can handle the extreme cold much more than humidity. When we lived in Concord it was worse as there was more humidity as Concord is in a valley. Now that we live in the Lakes region, it is less humid than Concord. However, given the choice and the means, I would have it. To give you an idea, it is 53 here now and I have all the windows open, no heat on and I am loving it
53 degrees and a nice breeze. What i wouldn't give for some of that weather.

Last edited by Ken E; 10-17-2008 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-17-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
53 degrees and a nice breeze. What i wouldn't give for some of that weather.
Hopefully you will be living here by next autumn, Ken. It is absolutely beautiful-my favorite time of year.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:18 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,254,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Hopefully you will be living here by next autumn, Ken. It is absolutely beautiful-my favorite time of year.
Does that say "Rays" in your status thing. I thought you'd be a Red Sox fan.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Does that say "Rays" in your status thing. I thought you'd be a Red Sox fan.
Yes it says Rays. Spending a lot of time down in Florida caring for ill parents the past few years, I have attended quite a few Rays games. While I am not a die hard fan or anything, it would be neat to see them win it all-it is a great story from worst to first. We also lived outside of Philly for years and went to quite a few Phillies games at the old Vet. Thus my status. We are huge sports fans and huge baseball fans.

Nope not a Red Sox fan. Not originally from NH. For my own safety, I will leave it at that.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:58 PM

641 posts, read 2,372,316 times
You don't need Central air in NH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire