Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:21 PM

10 posts, read 79,619 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple, mid-twenties, and looking to purchase a house for the first time. We are both from a small town in MA, but have always planned on NH being our destination. Her career requires we be near the ocean, I am a musician. Any suggestions for a safe place to raise a family while being close to the ocean and the arts Please help, thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:46 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,798 times
Anywhere near Portsmouth: New Castle is an island so obviously surrounded by ocean, Portsmouth is right on the ocean and has a lively arts scene, Hampton Falls...

Old 04-30-2009, 04:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I suggest the towns one town back from the ocean. Ocenside towns tend to be more expensive. Ask the realators on this board.

FWIW - As you are younger the Live Free part does not apply as the savings in income tax is made up by property tax and other fees. NH is a good state to be rich but not so good if you are not.

Last edited by GregW; 04-30-2009 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: added line of text

Old 04-30-2009, 08:59 AM

371 posts, read 1,162,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progressyourself View Post
We are a young couple, mid-twenties, and looking to purchase a house for the first time. We are both from a small town in MA, but have always planned on NH being our destination. Her career requires we be near the ocean, I am a musician. Any suggestions for a safe place to raise a family while being close to the ocean and the arts Please help, thank you!!!
Your age and career (musician) are probably your biggest obstacles. Like most people is that bracket your salaries and cash on hand are probably not on the high end. So I would forget New Castle as well as some of the other coastal towns (rye, N. Hampton, Hampton Falls). One they are too expensive. Two, they are more geared towards families rather than 20-somethings, particularly those interested in an arts, music nightlife scene.

You could probably find a house you could afford in one of the radius towns of the seacoast, but I'm not sure you'd get the most out of living here.

If I were in your particular situation, I'd look for a condo in/near downtown Portsmouth - you'd be on the coast, in the center of all the "life" (art, culture, music, restaurants, finding peers/friends), and can probably find a decent place at a reasonable price.

Once you actually start a family, know the lay of the land a little better and are looking to settle down, then move to one of the very nice surrounding towns.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:58 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
just curious - what career requires being near the ocean?

beach sweeper? lifeguard? souvenir shop? captain of a ship?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:15 AM

282 posts, read 1,186,437 times
Newmarket, Stratham, Exeter....all fairly easy rides to the ocean. Dover and Rochester as well. Portmouth has more in the way of the arts, etc, but all of these towns are within easy commuting distance to Portsmouth and the ocean. And Newmarket, Dover, and Rochester are probably the least expensive places to live in the Seacoast Area. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:19 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,093,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post
Your age and career (musician) are probably your biggest obstacles. Like most people is that bracket your salaries and cash on hand are probably not on the high end. So I would forget New Castle as well as some of the other coastal towns (rye, N. Hampton, Hampton Falls). One they are too expensive. Two, they are more geared towards families rather than 20-somethings, particularly those interested in an arts, music nightlife scene.

You could probably find a house you could afford in one of the radius towns of the seacoast, but I'm not sure you'd get the most out of living here.

If I were in your particular situation, I'd look for a condo in/near downtown Portsmouth - you'd be on the coast, in the center of all the "life" (art, culture, music, restaurants, finding peers/friends), and can probably find a decent place at a reasonable price.

Once you actually start a family, know the lay of the land a little better and are looking to settle down, then move to one of the very nice surrounding towns.
this post obviously has no idea what a "good musician" can make I've had associates that were in the boston symphony orch, wrote jingles for commercials, had strong album sales, made over $200k per year as studio musicians, and in my top years i made 3x's the median new hampshire income (I'm over the hill now) I think portsmouth area would be a good choice due to being close to 3 markets portsmouth , portland, and boston

Old 05-02-2009, 08:33 AM

371 posts, read 1,162,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
this post obviously has no idea what a "good musician" can make I've had associates that were in the boston symphony orch, wrote jingles for commercials, had strong album sales, made over $200k per year as studio musicians, and in my top years i made 3x's the median new hampshire income (I'm over the hill now) I think portsmouth area would be a good choice due to being close to 3 markets portsmouth , portland, and boston
My post was not meant to be disparaging in any way. I was merely trying to guide a 20-something on where someone in that stage of life (and with a passion for music/arts) would enjoy living the most on the seacoast of NH.

If the musician is as young/talented/successful as you say, I'd advise moving to New York.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:30 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Maybe they are singing fisherman. That would imply to me that they should be near the ocean. Interesting career choice!

Old 05-02-2009, 03:35 PM

257 posts, read 619,534 times
The ocean is a great area to live. Anything east of Route 1 is fairly affordable, and the tax rates here in Seabrook are not bad. Property taxes are $11.56, and there are no parking meters, sewage fee, garbage collection, recycling fees, or even library fines. You even get a green sticker for your car that lets you park at Seabrook Beach (not much parking, though) and get free use of the town's transfer station.

Even the Seabrook Community Center (gym, cardio, weightlifting, self defense classes) charges a nominal $5 fee for an ID card that is good for four years.

There is almost no violent crime, and the only downside to the town is that it's very conservative--folks here aren't big on change. That could be an upside, depending on who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire