Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:47 AM

195 posts, read 673,234 times

Advertisements

My parents live in NH (they relocated from the DC area) and I live in Canada but visit frequently (they are in Amherst-Bedford area for reference) and I have noticed a few interesting phenomena in NH but the most disturbing is this:

Literally no one puts away shopping carts at grocery stores -- they are left to roll around the parking lot. Stop N Shop, Shaws, Walmart, Hannaford -- this is something I have seen everywhere I have shopped in Southern NH - this behaviour is intolerable and in the metro DC area (where I grew up) or here in Ontario, Canada you wouldn't think of not putting your cart in the corral or back inside the store because you would get nasty looks or comments if you left it.

Does anyone else notice this? On more than one occasion I have confronted people because they have left shopping carts that have rolled into other cars.

I do not see this in Massachusetts when I am down there so clearly this is some sort of bizarre lazy local issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 12:10 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,890 times
bizarre, but must be limited to where you shop

I routinely see grocery store boys bringing in the carts from the parking lots, chasing them down and getting them out of the road. Almost every parking lot has multiple corrals to park the carts after unloading them, but lots of people don't bother to put them away out of traffic.

"On more than one occasion I have confronted people because they have left shopping carts that have rolled into other cars.
"

brave....or stupid...LOL

"I do not see this in Massachusetts when I am down there so clearly this is some sort of bizarre lazy local issue."

the old I never saw it, so it must not happen line....LOL

at least the shoppers are leaving the carts in the parking lots and aren't taking them home.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:35 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,039,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avironneur View Post
Literally no one puts away shopping carts at grocery stores -- they are left to roll around the parking lot. Stop N Shop, Shaws, Walmart, Hannaford -- this is something I have seen everywhere I have shopped in Southern NH - this behaviour is intolerable and in the metro DC area (where I grew up)
Things have changed since you grew up! Living just outside the beltway, I see carts all the time left beside/in front of parking spots, or crowding around in front of the store doorways. and sometimes lodged precariously on the grassy medians you park around. yeah, the store sends people out to gather them up and bring them inside, yeah many people take them to the corral, but lots don't. My own mother - living in Roanoke- always leaves hers and considers it a curtesy to the next person who might need one to have it handy (she leans on it sorta like a cane). drives me nuts.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:27 PM

195 posts, read 673,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
bizarre, but must be limited to where you shop

I routinely see grocery store boys bringing in the carts from the parking lots, chasing them down and getting them out of the road. Almost every parking lot has multiple corrals to park the carts after unloading them, but lots of people don't bother to put them away out of traffic.

Umm it's the shopper who is responsible for bringing the cart back to the corral, not the workers in the store. They simply bring them from the parking lot corrals back into the store.

To each his own.

I still stand by my observation about people being too lazy to bring in their carts. I have witnessed this phenomenon at every grocery store I have been to in the Nashua - Manchester area.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-09-2010 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: nothing to do with the thread topic

Old 04-09-2010, 08:33 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,702,451 times
I certainly can't speak for every grocery store, but, since I actually spend time out in the parking lot getting carts I guess I speak with some knowledge on the subject I would say most people in Littleton NH put the carts back in the cart corral, but, many people leave them abandoned at their cars depending on the weather or their mobility status. On occasion we find them over at the Walmart parking lot or even up on the grass. I just round them up and bring them back into the store. It is pretty great excercise and I am getting paid $15 to $18 an hour to do this....but don't say anything to anybody

Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,039,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avironneur View Post
Umm it's the shopper who is responsible for bringing the cart back to the corral, not the workers in the store. They simply bring them from the parking lot corrals back into the store.
technically true, but the store doesn't want them all over everywhere so the employee will round them up from all over the parking lot as well.

Quote:
I still stand by my observation about people being too lazy to bring in their carts. I have witnessed this phenomenon at every grocery store I have been to in the Nashua - Manchester area.
Oh it's definitely a situation of being lazy. DH enjoys 'racing' our carts back from the car to the store! But we were just out tonight and carts were all over the lots! beside parking spaces, lodged halfway up onto the grass.... I'm just saying that it's not limited to NH by any means and if you think it doesn't happen down here around DC - you've been away far too long or have a golden memory.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-09-2010 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: his post was edited

Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,453,490 times
You know, sometimes I just go blank and do not realize a cart is rolling toward me. There are those shocking times when I see it coming but I am so paralyzed with fear that I simply cannot get out of the way. Without shopping cart laws in place here in NH it can get pretty confusing and dangerous. Should I jump/drive this way or that way? Is there a penalty if I go the wrong way? What if I trip over my untied shoelace while jumping out of the path of an incoming shopping cart? Perhaps you could have your family here initialize legislation of shopping cart regulations to make NH a safer, less traumatic and less dent-prone place. It would really clear up the confusion if there were clear cut shopping cart regulations and fines imposed on offenders. Maybe when shoppers swipe their debit/credit cards at registers, the system could be linked to their cart to ensure foolproof offender identification. Shoppers paying in cash would be fingerprinted and photographed at the customer care desk, their DOB, SS#, cart license# and the time logged by the store manager. HHS and the DMV could implement a SmartCartID system. As complete a system as it sounds I am sure there will be a population (probably those with deep psychological trauma from past cart incidents) who will still feel potential offense in parking lots. For these few, the perfect way to reduce the numbers of future offenders while instilling good will and support for SmartCartID will be putting NH's educational professionals to the task of creating a new 6 month long public school curriculum detailing the risks involved in shopping, including the very real possibilities of being impaled by projectile corn cobs as well as the social stigma of bondo.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:32 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
Okay, well, I have to tell you I see this quite a lot in Metro/suburban Metro places.

In NY very few people return their carts to the corral.

I think it's a matter of if you see it is the acceptable practice, you do it. If not, you don't.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:49 AM

817 posts, read 2,189,419 times
lisa -

THAT was funny.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,068,389 times
Some people leave carts, some people return them. The percentage of people doing either doesn't seem any different here from anywhere else I've lived. Lazy is everywhere, so is motivated...

I do notice many more carts left around the handicap spaces in the winter when the corrals are removed so they can plow...but this makes sense and they tend to be clustered/pushed together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire