Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:22 PM

186 posts, read 848,592 times

Advertisements

I have some levels around 8, would like to have it remediated. Anyone have any good experiences with experts in the southern NH or seacoast area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 08:40 PM

680 posts, read 2,439,854 times
Robin Gelinas at Advanced Radon Mitigation. He didn't actually do the work for us, only because he was honest enough to tell us that we were the rare case where his mitigating service wouldn't be appropriate. But he seemed really knowledgeable and willing to explain things, and when I called the state guy and told him what was going on to get his take, he said Robin was one of the best in the state at what he does and a good guy.

Advanced Radon Mitigation, Inc., Radon Air & Waterborne Mitigation.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
IMHO - if the fluroscent lights in the basement don't glow after they are turned off you don't have a Radon problem.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:35 AM

234 posts, read 1,269,841 times
I second what NH2008 has said. Advanced Radon Mitigation did my system and did a fine job. However they did show up 2+ hours late for my appointment for install - I ended up taking a full day off from work when I had planned a 1/2 day off - so that was problematic.

I had a score of 68 and the system bought it down to 2. I did some research on radon and I recall the statement that you would have to spend 18 hours a day in your basement with levels above the EPA limit of 4 for a period of 50 years and you then MIGHT see an increase in a chance for cancer or respiratory issues. Now I don't have this document that said this, or don't even recall what agency/website/white paper made this statement.

We use our basement as a living space with 2 bedrooms, office, and family room - so we spend a lot of time down there - especially in winter -- and the wife was very adamant about radon remediation. So I had it done.

If it were me and the level was 8 and it was simply a basement where I would spend minimal time - I would just let it slide (if the wife would let me )

I recall reading where a elementary school in NH had a reading of 2000+ -- I agree that the school needed to have radon remediation.

I think low levels of Radon in a house and the hype and subsequent high dollar remediation is just a way to part us with our money. But that is just my opinion.

good luck in your decision.
Leggo

Old 08-19-2009, 06:02 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,453 times
68? That's not the same as "above 4".

Many people are happy to spend $1000 on a gun for home protection, even though the statistics will say you'd have to live in your house for thousands of years before you could guarantee you'll need it. Then again, that burglar could try to break in tomorrow.

You pay $500+ a year in home insurance - but you're REAL careful about open flames.

What's wrong with dropping a couple of grand on radon mitigation? As insurance. Just IN CASE those folks saying it is a leading cause of cancer are actually right.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 PM

186 posts, read 848,592 times
Leggo and NH2008, roughly how much did it cost ot have it done?

Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 PM

Typical remediation wasn't appropriate in our case so we had to get a HRV, which is very expensive - seller paid. It's a whole duct system that sucks in and circulates fresh air. The kind of remediation that Robin does is much less expensive, vastly more common, and more effective, I'm sure someone else can give more details.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,943 times
Default Answer from Ros48

If you are looking for mitigation systems look at
www.WorldRadonSolutions.info
or www.ch-radon.ch

Good Luck!

Old 12-05-2009, 04:05 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2008 View Post
Typical remediation wasn't appropriate in our case so we had to get a HRV, which is very expensive - seller paid. It's a whole duct system that sucks in and circulates fresh air. The kind of remediation that Robin does is much less expensive, vastly more common, and more effective, I'm sure someone else can give more details.
Typical sub-slab suction mitigation fits 99% of most mitigation situations....what was different about your situation that sub-slab suction mitigation wouldn't work ?

Old 12-06-2009, 12:40 PM

The layout of our basement. There had been many additions over the years, many at them at weird angles and incorporating various outdated antique features, and putting in the typical system could have caused negative pressure and drawn MORE radon in. The guy who told us this had every incentive to say otherwise, since he doesn't install HRVs and makes all his money off traditional mitigation systems, so I really didn't look into it - he had no reason to lie, and the seller had to pay for the HRV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire