Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 06:28 AM

452 posts, read 1,735,110 times

Advertisements

I normally don't shotgun warnings as to viruses circulating the internet. However, I heard about this very damaging new virus this morning and I thought I'd pass it along to those posters here.......

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled
POSTCARD regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 06:51 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,181,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthibodeau View Post
I normally don't shotgun warnings as to viruses circulating the internet. However, I heard about this very damaging new virus this morning and I thought I'd pass it along to those posters here.......

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled
POSTCARD regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

Thank you for this reminder! For anyone interested, here's more info on it:
snopes.com: 'Postcard from a Family Member' virus

Old 05-20-2008, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,996 times
Arrow Virus Hoax

It is always be good to be on the lookout for viruses. However, this is a variation on a virus HOAX that has been circulating for about 8 years. Note that there are real viruses that are similar. For details on this HOAX from McAfee themselves, see McAfee – Computer Anti-Virus Software and Internet Security For Your PC

From McAfee's website:

"We are advising users who receive the email to delete it and DO NOT pass it on as this is how an email HOAX propagates."

"Below is the actual text from the message that may be received via email."

(Recent hoax variant in English below)

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS:You should be alert during the next dayso not open any message with an attached filed called "Invitation" regardless of who sent it .It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which "burns" the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list, that is why you should send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.If you receive a mail called "invitation", though sent by a friend, do not open it and shut down your computer immediately.This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus.This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.SEND THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW, COPY THIS E-MAIL AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS AND REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire