Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:11 PM

262 posts, read 790,575 times

Advertisements

If you are someone who lives/lived in South Jersey, or is familiar with South Jersey, or is in some way interested in South Jersey -- how you would describe different parts of New Jersey (including South Jersey)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM

159 posts, read 513,591 times
South Jersey - community oriented, everybody knows everybody or knows somebody you know. Few *real* career opportunities, very, very difficult if not impossible to find professional positions. Relaxed. Insular. Limited resources. Fabulous summers, empty, cold winters.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,550,945 times
it depends what parts of so. jersey

burlington & camden counties are no different than most central northern counties. i think the extreme southern counties - cumberland, atlantic are what that dude is talking about.

and north jersey needs to get a grip. the only county that has any nyc quality and pace is hudson and some bergen. the rest is classic jerz

Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,892,563 times
we are here 2 years now and love it. Very tight neighborhood, with wonderful people. Beautiful landscape, many stores, great parks, clean, safe.....

Old 04-01-2011, 06:40 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,355,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQHP40 View Post
South Jersey - community oriented, everybody knows everybody or knows somebody you know. Few *real* career opportunities, very, very difficult if not impossible to find professional positions. Relaxed. Insular. Limited resources. Fabulous summers, empty, cold winters.
Yeah I guess you may be referring more to Salem and Cumberland Counties?

Many parts of South Jersey (Camden, Burlington and Gloucester Counties) are easily commutable to Philadelphia. And that's the main difference between South Jersey and North Jersey...South Jersey identifies with Philadelphia whereas North Jersey identifies with NYC.

For the most part, much of South Jersey is just typical suburb (with some of the extreme southern counties being more rural), not that there's anything wrong with that, you just may need to go to Philly if you need more excitement. It is still relatively expensive (especially the taxes) and fast-paced compared to many other parts of the country, but it's nothing compared to North Jersey in any of those aspects (except for maybe the taxes).

Some people may argue that there's also a Central Jersey, but some may just say there's only South and North Jersey (with 195 being the rough boundary line), but in that case both North and South Jerseyans will often try to include Central Jersey in the opposite side.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:03 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,027,542 times
Most people from either north or south don't believe central is a real place.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:59 PM

584 posts, read 1,426,183 times
Flat!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:34 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,751,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Most people from either north or south don't believe central is a real place.
I'm central! It's real!

But, North thinks I'm South and South thinks I'm North.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:09 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,892,563 times
Not even close. North jersey has an average property tax if something like $9000 per resident. South Jersey has an average of about 1/2 that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

. It is still relatively expensive (especially the taxes) and fast-paced compared to many other parts of the country, but it's nothing compared to North Jersey in any of those aspects (except for maybe the taxes).

Old 04-01-2011, 03:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,355,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I'm central! It's real!

But, North thinks I'm South and South thinks I'm North.
Yeah that's basically I was saying. I used to think it didn't exist but now I'm a believer. HubCityBadMan, if Central doesn't exist, then is Trenton North or South? If you're from South Jersey, you'll probably say North, and if you're from North Jersey, you'll probably say South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Not even close. North jersey has an average property tax if something like $9000 per resident. South Jersey has an average of about 1/2 that.
Good to know! I initially thought the gap was a little smaller in that respect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia