Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 12:30 PM

5 posts, read 15,625 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to NJ and we are currently browsing rental homes in the areas surrounding Cherry Hill. We have our eye on a few recommended neighborhoods and have looked at a number of properties. We will ultimately buy in the Cherry Hill/Collingswood/Mount Laurel area, but are looking for a 3-5 year rental while we get used to the area.

A home has popped up in West Collingswood we are going to look at. I am completely open to and really like Collingswood, but not sure if this particular property creeps too close to the crime of Camden. Does anyone know the area well enough to advise me if it's safe for a family with young kids? It's right near Thomas Sharp Elementary School.

Thanks for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 12:51 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods11 View Post
My family is relocating to NJ and we are currently browsing rental homes in the areas surrounding Cherry Hill. We have our eye on a few recommended neighborhoods and have looked at a number of properties. We will ultimately buy in the Cherry Hill/Collingswood/Mount Laurel area, but are looking for a 3-5 year rental while we get used to the area.

A home has popped up in West Collingswood we are going to look at. I am completely open to and really like Collingswood, but not sure if this particular property creeps too close to the crime of Camden. Does anyone know the area well enough to advise me if it's safe for a family with young kids? It's right near Thomas Sharp Elementary School.

Thanks for any help!!
Look at school rating sites & crime maps. Only you can make that determination for your family.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:41 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
I have no personal experience but my cousin, who is in her late 40s/early 50s, and her husband have lived in West Collingswood Heights their entire married life and haven't had any complaints. Their house is modest but nice, on a dead-end street so the only folks who drive down there are folks who live there.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Look at school rating sites & crime maps. Only you can make that determination for your family.
Thanks. I have checked school and crime ratings. Just looking for some more personal feedback as I am not familiar with the area.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I have no personal experience but my cousin, who is in her late 40s/early 50s, and her husband have lived in West Collingswood Heights their entire married life and haven't had any complaints. Their house is modest but nice, on a dead-end street so the only folks who drive down there are folks who live there.
Thank you! I've heard this from some others as well. We will go drive around the area to get a feel for it. We are just very unfamiliar with the areas in NJ still and trying to be thorough with our research.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:17 PM

11 posts, read 20,897 times
Our first house was 2 blocks away from the school, and I still work just a few miles away. We liked the area a lot, convenient to everything. Don't think there's much of a crime problem there, Rt 130 tends to serve as a natural barrier. Still, it's closer to the city than the sticks, so be prudent.

We had no kids at the time, so I can't comment on schools.

Good luck!

Old 01-01-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_laurel View Post
Our first house was 2 blocks away from the school, and I still work just a few miles away. We liked the area a lot, convenient to everything. Don't think there's much of a crime problem there, Rt 130 tends to serve as a natural barrier. Still, it's closer to the city than the sticks, so be prudent.

We had no kids at the time, so I can't comment on schools.

Good luck!
OK this makes me feel better! The area looks very nice, just wanted to hear from neighbors on their experience! Thanks!

Old 01-01-2016, 10:27 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the area known as "West Collingswood" is technically part of Haddon Township, so even if the house is located near Thomas Sharp Elementary, wouldn't the kids go to a Haddon Township school?

If so, that's to your benefit. I would place Haddon Township at a higher level than Collingswood in terms of school quality.

I don't think there is too much to worry about there. I know that particularly around Route 168, which runs the border with Camden, it can look dumpy and rundown, but pretty much as soon as you turn off of the highway, it's okay. I don't think there is much crime spillover.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:56 AM

122 posts, read 202,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the area known as "West Collingswood" is technically part of Haddon Township, so even if the house is located near Thomas Sharp Elementary, wouldn't the kids go to a Haddon Township school?

If so, that's to your benefit. I would place Haddon Township at a higher level than Collingswood in terms of school quality.
I think the OP is referring to West Collingswood as a general geographic area. West Collingswood Heights, which is part of Haddon Township (Van Sciver Elementary catchment zone) is nowhere near Thomas Sharp elementary, which is in Collingswood. West Collingswood Heights is on the west side of the White Horse Pike near Nicholson Road.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,130 times
Hi. I've lived in West Collingswood for the last 17 years, particularly the west Collingswood extension, and have been fine. It is part of Haddon Township and the kids all go to Haddon Township schools.
Unfortunately our section gets such a bad rap and everyone assumes it's Camden and crime ridden which it is absolutely not! We have had no more crime than the rest of Haddon Township. I actually live on the other side of rt 130 closest to Camden and truly have not experienced any major issues. Since we are cut off from the main part of Haddon Twp, we enjoy a great little neighborhood that consists of about 300 homes with our own civic association. The neighbors here are more personable and we all look out for each other. Most of our neighbors here have lived here a long time and raised their families here. Sure this side could use a little facelift, some of the commercial buildings bordering Camden are a bit dilapidated and old but its getting better and that is no way an indication of the neighborhood's safeness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia