Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 AM

91 posts, read 201,117 times

Advertisements

Hi there. My wife and I are finally off the fence when it comes to moving off of Long Island and we are very interested in the Burlington County area. We love Philadelphia and have spent some time in Moorestown, which we both found to be very charming. From our research, we want to explore Moorestown, Cinnaminsin, Medford, Marlton and Mt. Laurel, but are open to other areas as well.

I was hoping to get some suggestions on areas to concentrate our search in, as well as feedback on the plausibility of our criteria. I know this topic has been broached before (many times) but I do appreciate your time and input.

Here are our criteria:
  • Great schools (we have a young son)
  • Housing prices in the 250 - 300 range for 4 bedrooms, 2 bath in (is that reasonable?)
  • Access/proximity to public transportation for a commute to NYC once every two weeks
  • Shopping within the immediate community or nearby
  • Considerate and welcoming culture
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 08:49 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdunnoMyName View Post
Hi there. My wife and I are finally off the fence when it comes to moving off of Long Island and we are very interested in the Burlington County area. We love Philadelphia and have spent some time in Moorestown, which we both found to be very charming. From our research, we want to explore Moorestown, Cinnaminsin, Medford, Marlton and Mt. Laurel, but are open to other areas as well.

I was hoping to get some suggestions on areas to concentrate our search in, as well as feedback on the plausibility of our criteria. I know this topic has been broached before (many times) but I do appreciate your time and input.

Here are our criteria:
  • Housing prices in the 250 - 300 range for 4 bedrooms, 2 bath in (is that reasonable?)
  • Access/proximity to public transportation for a commute to NYC once every two weeks
Thanks so much!
260 -300K is not going to get you into one of the best school districts. (Moorestown, Haddonfield & Cherry Hill) in a single family home with 4 bedrooms.

If you're looking to buy, I'd suggest Cinnaminson. You could also look at townhouses & condos. You might consider renting for a couple of years & saving as much money as possible to up your housing budget for a purchase. There are several options on the commute, but that could vary according to where you locate.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:25 AM

14 posts, read 29,119 times
Quote:

Here are our criteria:
Thanks so much!
We looked at about 20 houses in Cinnaminson and a lot of them seem to need a lot of work. Marlton / Mt. Laurel area looks really nice. We are starting to look at houses around the borders of these two areas. We have used Greatschools.org and Schooldigger.com to research the schools. Good Luck.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,886,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
260 -300K is not going to get you into one of the best school districts. (Moorestown, Haddonfield & Cherry Hill) in a single family home with 4 bedrooms.
you can DEF got into a Moorestown at the $300k level now in this economy. Look at this one for $240..

http://www.sawbuck.com/property/Phil...Central-Avenue

Old 09-15-2011, 07:54 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
you can DEF got into a Moorestown at the $300k level now in this economy. Look at this one for $240..

113 W Central Avenue, Moorestown, NJ 08057 :: 5924528 :: Moorestown-Lenola Real Estate :: Sawbuck

That's a really nice twin, frank

Old 09-16-2011, 05:14 AM

and only $4600 in taxes for an excellent school

Old 09-16-2011, 08:15 AM

908 posts, read 1,830,396 times
Cinnimminson may be a good choice. Easy access to the NJ Transit Riverline for commutes to NYC and Philadelphia.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:23 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
It all comes down to what you want out of the area. Like frank pointed out, if you change your idea on housing, you can get into the best towns. If you feel you need a single family with 4BR's and 2BA's, you're going to need to change the area especially if you want a house that is "done" and totally modern. Drop back to 3BR's and 1.5BA's and you will probably see a lot of listings open up in the towns you named that are more move-in ready.

If you looked into say Voorhees in the areas near Route 73 (it is basically across the road from Marlton and in Camden County) you can find a house like this right in the middle of your range in a great neighborhood. It looks like it could use some updating and redecorating, but is a very nice house for the money.

38 Rollingwood Dr Voorhees NJ - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #5917586 - Realtor.com®

FWIW, this neighborhood is known as Alluvium and not that long ago it was one of the premier communities. Sections still have houses in the $800k+ range. A house like this would have been $400k+ not even four years ago. There were about 10 others that I saw listed as well. Voorhees is just as convenient to everything as Marlton is and has great schools, that are at least equal to Cinnaminson, but maybe a tick lower than Marlton, Mt. Laurel and Moorestown.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:47 AM

91 posts, read 201,117 times
Thanks so much for the feedback. Voorhees looks intriguing and we will definitely add it to our list. That house is great, actually, we love the red with the brick.

In Cinnaminson, we've noticed quite a few houses in the Fountain Farms neighborhood. Other than the section being a bit older (which we gathered from other posts) is this a good location?

Old 09-17-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the feedback. Voorhees looks intriguing and we will definitely add it to our list. That house is great, actually, we love the red with the brick.

In Cinnaminson, we've noticed quite a few houses in the Fountain Farms neighborhood. Other than the section being a bit older (which we gathered from other posts) is this a good location?

Its wonderful neighborhood..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia