Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 05:22 AM

34 posts, read 88,395 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been hearing mixed reviews about Williamstown and would like to know if it is a good town to live in. If anyone can provide information about the schools, community, an overall feel of the town it would be greatly appreciated. Also any info concerning their special needs programs in schools would also be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherilgrl View Post
My husband and I have been hearing mixed reviews about Williamstown and would like to know if it is a good town to live in. If anyone can provide information about the schools, community, an overall feel of the town it would be greatly appreciated. Also any info concerning their special needs programs in schools would also be great.

Thanks
If you have one child who needs special services I'd call Gloucester County Special Services Gloucester County Special Services School District & ask them who & where you need to speak with concerning your child & his or her needs.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:10 AM

50,792 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Special Services school district is separate form the public school district. I would call the Williamstown school district and ask to talk to someone in the child study team. Tell them what your child is receiving at her current school, and ask if the district could provide the same.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Special Services school district is separate form the public school district. I would call the Williamstown school district and ask to talk to someone in the child study team. Tell them what your child is receiving at her current school, and ask if the district could provide the same.
Without knowing what services are needed, I thought that calling a neutral location & asking for a referral might be helpful.

My sister & brother-in-law worked in a public program that, at one time, drew from districts in Gloucester & Camden Counties. Districts have been pulling students back for financial reasons, Their district did the same & was tossing recalled EDs into a program which was not aimed at them.

Ultimately, there is someone from Special Services at each district, but they are paid by that district.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Williamstown is just the name of a census designated area within Monroe Township. The other one is called Victory Lakes and there is also the unincorporated area of Cross-Keys. So, the actual town you are looking to live in is Monroe Township, but most locals simply refer to it as Williamstown or Cross-Keys, even though most people have no idea where that is, lol.

The area basically lies on the fringes of more developed areas like Washington Twp. It is a little remote in that you have access to a lot nearby, but nothing really in the town. There is a small downtown area that parallels Black Horse Pike, but there isn't much there. The vast majority of people live in spread out developments throughout the township. Overall, it is a decent area, middle class area.

The elementary schools are pretty well rated especially Whitehall and Radix. However, the Middle and High Schools are considered average. I have no knowledge about their special educational services, so that would require a phone call to either the school district or the Gloucester County Special Services school.

My biggest issue with living there, would have to come down to where you are commuting for a job. The towns location means some pretty crappy commutes if you are heading into or towards Philly or places in Camden/Burlington Counties. This is probably the main reason the area isn't higher on peoples lists when shopping. For instance, you can get from Mullica Hill or the Swedesboro area to Philly faster than you can from Monroe/Williamstown.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:18 PM

Thanks everyone for your input!

I guess I would like to know if the town has a bad reputation. Houses in Sicklerville are nice but the town itself currently doesn't have a good reputation. I personally don't want to live in a town that is going downhill. What are your thoughts about the town's reputation?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:48 AM

It depends on the area. The areas with more apartments, public housing have been getting bad for years. My nieces and nephews live in a more rural section down near Winslow Road, New Brooklyn Rd, etc and their neighborhoods seem fine.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:15 PM

Question Victory Lakes

How is Victory Lakes section? Can we expect to find a nice neighborhood, good schools, low crime? How is the shopping in Williamstown or Monroe Township?

Old 11-16-2011, 03:58 AM

I am not familiar with that area, but I'll try to remember to ask my nieces. Shopping is good, Washington Twp is 5-10 minutes and has tons of stores, and a lot have gone up in Sicklerville area too, which is also very close. They are also getting ready to build a Walmart Superstore on the black horse pike at the south end of Williamstown. You'll be close to 42 and the AC expressway and can be at Deptford mall in 15-20 minutes.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the quick response!

Our concern is that we will be moving into a town that is going downhill. We don't want that. We love the houses we have seen in Williamstown and are considering putting an offer on one but we want to make sure the town isn't bad. So any information will be extremely helpful especially as it pertains to the community, activities, crime, education, places of worship, sports, etc.

Thanks a million!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia