Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 07:43 PM

756 posts, read 2,119,847 times

Advertisements

This was in the Inquirer yesterday:
Looking for a way to lure passengers and airlines to Atlantic City airport

ACY is subsidized by motorists who pay tolls on the AC Expressway. However, the only carrier at ACY is Spirit. Should the airport still be subsidized by motorists (some who may not want to fly anywhere)?

I flew last year to Chicago and Myrtle from ACY. It was a nice drive and easy parking but I took US-30 and avoided the toll. One of the commenters on the philly.com article felt it was too far from CH. I didn't feel so, but I suppose that is subjective.

Regarding subsidies, Maryland subsidizes a flight from Baltimore-London on British Airways (monies given to a foreign carrier), even though the DC region counties like Montgomery likely are to support Dulles flights. Dulles isn't that far from Baltimore.

British Airways will keep flying to BWI with help of subsidy - USATODAY.com

So, NJ subsidizing likely short haul routes out of ACY, if it did, wouldn't be different from MD supporting a long haul route, although most states don't subsidize airline routes indefinitely like MD is with its LHR flight out of BWI.

One thing I don't know is if ACY is used more by NJ/PA locals going out of the region (using it for flights to Florida and Myrtle Beach which is year round by Spirit) or the opposite. I've heard ACY-MYR is popular with golfers. The opposite is people from Florida and SC are using it as a way to visit AC to gamble or atleast be in So. NJ.

If it's the latter, it brings business, but if its the first scenario it's not much benefit, and probably questionable if justifying if the airport should stay open as subsidized.

Spirit isn't offering much in terms of domestic connectivity, and out of ACY it appears more more point to point routes heavily dominated by NJ to Florida traffic. The seasonal stuff to Boston, Chicago, Detroit and Atlanta is nice, but it's seasonal, not year round. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 04:14 AM

50,976 posts, read 36,672,261 times
They are trying to get more airlines in there. There is one other besides Spirit, I can't remember the name but they fly only between Ft. Lauderdale and ACY. Air Tran was in there with many routes but pulled out last year. I hope more go in because for me it's a pain to go to Philly. I don't fly Spirit as they are IMO too $$$$, they tack on fees for everything from carry on to selecting your seat in advance. I know the powers that be feel the airport is vital to the future of AC, more for people to fly in from other states than for our convenience, and I do believe investment in AC tourism is important to the south Jersey region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: