Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 AM

756 posts, read 2,118,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No, there's nothing there that you can't find elsewhere but, you don't have to die a slow, painful, chain restaurant death.

A more apt comparison would be a Prius and a Ford F-150 pickup.
There are non major chain restaurants, including Pietro's (on 70) and Toscana in CH, which is more the Marlton area, than the Cherry Hill retail area (which is the west side). One just has to look a bit.

Anyways, Moorestown residents can easily drive to Marlton, and vice versa to dine out. And Marlton is close to Voorhees and CH as well. Collingswood is a hike but doable. Going to Deptford would be a hike to eat out, but that'd be the same case for Moorestown residents. People from other parts of SJ find their way to the Trader Joes and Whole Foods in Marlton. The Marlton ShopRite added an organics section, and the store, in general, remains better than most other area ShopRites.

From a restaurant/retail perspective, I don't see Marlton disadvantaged. It's considered leaning upscale and robust with a lot of retail from popular chains. It'd be great if LA Fitness or a larger gym opened in Marlton though. But the Mt. Laurel location and stores in Centerton Square and the plazas off Route 38 aren't too far from both Marlton or Moorestown.

One advantage in the Moorestown column, not mentioned, is commute. It is closer to Philly and PA towns, and even I-295 for Princeton. 73 traffic and traffic lights on 70 can make Marlton a little less tolerable since it adds 10-15 mins each way than CH or Moorestown.

Last edited by avg12; 11-16-2012 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,519,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therenothere View Post
I moved to Marlton a little over a year ago and am starting to wonder if I should have spent more time looking into other areas like Moorestown. We really love our house and the neighborhood itself is beautiful, but as a whole I'm not sure that Marlton is what I thought it would be. Our neighbors are definitely all around retirement age, having bought in the 90s. I definitely don't see many (or any) younger professional couples or families, or diversity among the younger crowd. And I'm wishing I'd chosen a better school district.

Is Moorestown demographically more of the same, apart from having better schools?
Moorestown was settled in 1682, Marlton is highway sprawl...two towns are nothing alike

Old 11-16-2012, 04:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
I live in Marlton and as far as restaurants go I have always considered the neighboring towns as local. Vorhees, Cherry Hill, Mt Laurel and Medford all add a good variety.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:26 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
I was surprised to learn that Moorestown was a township. I would have thought it was a borough. I've been through there during the evening rush hour and the traffic is just ridiculous. Evesham, on the other hand, I've quite familiar with parts of it, having gone to summer camp for years as a kid in the part of the township that's in the Pine Barrens. I guess there's a part of it that's more built up? That's unfortunate, but I wouldn't really know. The two townships are quite different in my mind for my experiences in each of them.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 PM

198 posts, read 484,640 times
Both towns are outstanding in my book. Hard to complain about either. Moorestown is an A+ and Marlton is a A-.

My SJ rankings would be.

1. Moorestown
2. Haddonfield
3. Mt Laurel
4. Marlton/Medford

Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Moorestown was settled in 1682, Marlton is highway sprawl...two towns are nothing alike
Marlton was founded by Welsh and English farmers beginning in 1676... blah, blah, blah.

Moorestown doesn't hold a candle to Haddonfield

Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
There are non major chain restaurants, including Pietro's (on 70) and Toscana in CH, which is more the Marlton area, than the Cherry Hill retail area (which is the west side). One just has to look a bit.

Anyways, Moorestown residents can easily drive to Marlton, and vice versa to dine out. And Marlton is close to Voorhees and CH as well. Collingswood is a hike but doable. Going to Deptford would be a hike to eat out, but that'd be the same case for Moorestown residents. People from other parts of SJ find their way to the Trader Joes and Whole Foods in Marlton. The Marlton ShopRite added an organics section, and the store, in general, remains better than most other area ShopRites.

From a restaurant/retail perspective, I don't see Marlton disadvantaged. It's considered leaning upscale and robust with a lot of retail from popular chains. It'd be great if LA Fitness or a larger gym opened in Marlton though. But the Mt. Laurel location and stores in Centerton Square and the plazas off Route 38 aren't too far from both Marlton or Moorestown.

One advantage in the Moorestown column, not mentioned, is commute. It is closer to Philly and PA towns, and even I-295 for Princeton. 73 traffic and traffic lights on 70 can make Marlton a little less tolerable since it adds 10-15 mins each way than CH or Moorestown.
No, Marlton definitely isn't disadvantaged. I did rue the day when 641 on Rt. 73 was picked up by Scaturrow's. 841 had a terrific seasonal menu. Library II still serves a terrific steak. I've been to buck-a- shuck at the Pour House and the Irish Mile for some serious pizza (sorry that they dropped their seafood).

Well, this isn't just about food. When living there, I really liked that I could turn left and drive toward 'civilization' or turn right and be in state forest, park land in 15 or 20 minutes.

*OK, maybe it is about food. Marlton Shopright, and Medford are nice markets. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are just up the road. Two Asian markets in Cherry Hill? I really liked that there was an LLBean and an REI across the street from each other.

Last edited by Gerania; 11-16-2012 at 11:59 PM..

Old 11-17-2012, 09:08 PM

516 posts, read 1,617,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Marlton was founded by Welsh and English farmers beginning in 1676... blah, blah, blah.

Moorestown doesn't hold a candle to Haddonfield

Really? Why not?

Old 11-18-2012, 07:30 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,884,648 times
As much as I love Moorestown, I do believe that Haddonfield has a better downtown area..

Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,026,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
As much as I love Moorestown, I do believe that Haddonfield has a better downtown area..
While downtown Moorestown looks nice, it is dead in comparison to Haddonfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia