Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 AM

12 posts, read 21,176 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned in my earlier thread, my husband got a job in Trenton and we are looking to rent nearby. We are currently looking at the Lawrenceville/Princeton/West Windsor/Plainsboro area on the NJ side and Levittown/Yardley/Langhorne on the PA side.

Rents and schools look pretty comparable based on our research (maybe slightly cheaper rent in PA and slightly better schools in NJ), so we'd appreciate some advice about which side of the river is better in terms of crime safety, overall cost of living (food, utilities, non-property taxes, etc.), ease/congestion of the commute to Trenton, and stuff for families with small children to do.

Also, are there any great towns we've missed within about 20-25 minutes of Trenton?

Thanks again for any advice!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 01:13 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,345 times
If your husband is working downtown you might want to live along the RiverLine. Its $1.50 each way (really cheap) and have your choice of nice towns including Bordentown, Burlington, Riverton, Cinnaminson, and Palymra. All have fine school districts and the commute cant be beat. Its also alot cheaper living south of Trenton.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:37 PM

29 posts, read 55,251 times
Yardley, PA, is about 10-15 mins. away and is a very easy commute. (I did it for 5 years to Trenton while I worked in the Capitol - I even came home for lunch sometimes!) Our taxes are typically lower in regard to auto and homeowner's insurance, too, and Pennsbury is a top-rated school district. Lots of things to do here (Sesame Place is 5 mins. away in Langhorne!) and Lower Makefield is a very active township with sports, along with a beautiful swim club that is only for township residents (four pools and a great aquatics program and swim teams!). We love it here and find plenty to do with our 3-year old son. I grew up in nearby Newtown and have called Yardley my home for 20 years.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Lawrenceville is very nice.. as is princeton but very expensive..

Old 03-29-2013, 02:16 PM

745 posts, read 1,438,196 times
Good suggestions in this thread already but to add two more.... Robbinsville and Hamilton are close to Trenton. A TON of people that work in Trenton live in these two towns.

PA towns near Trenton are great and you would probably get a break on taxes.

One thing worth noting... if this is a Govt job, there is a new law where new State workers must reside in NJ. (and forgive me if you are aware of this OR if it is not relevant as a non Govt job)

Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 PM

692 posts, read 2,351,544 times
I think you are focusing on some great towns. I would also add Newtown and Washington Crossing to your PA side, and Hopewell/Pennington to your NJ side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia