Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times

Advertisements

Got a ticket this morning for driving on the shoulder to get to a turning lane. I looked it up and it seems like this is a 4 point ticket.

I'm wondering if I have a chance of getting the points reduced or eliminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:59 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

Got a ticket this morning for driving on the shoulder to get to a turning lane. I looked it up and it seems like this is a 4 point ticket.

I'm wondering if I have a chance of getting the points reduced or eliminated.
Get the best lawyer that you can afford & then cross your fingers.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:38 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
I got royally effed on one of those tickets in Moorestown. I drove a whole whopping 50 feet in the shoulder to get to my turn, it just happened that the 50 feet took me past a cop car. You are right that it is a 4 point ticket and that will stick with you for awhile. I made the horrible choice of not fighting it as my wife was giving birth right around the court date.

I have fought several tickets in the past and always had good results. The lawyer recommendation is a good one if you aren't confident in the process. Here are the steps:

1. Call the court number on the back of the ticket and enter a plea of not guilty, this schedules you for court.

2. Show up early for court and find where the prosecutor is holding meetings before court and get in line.

3. Explain what happened to the prosecutor, answer his questions and try to look sorry.

4. There is a 99% chance you will be offered the option of pleading "Unsafe Operation". You can use this plea twice in five years and it exists to let prosecutors and judges get money for the town while not levying points. The penalty itself carries a fine between $50 and $150 for a first offense and $100 and $250 for a second offense plus a $250 surcharge if it's being plead in place of another offense. They will also levy a $35 court fee on top of this.

5. Agree to plead guilty to the amended charge and go sit down in the court room.

6. The judge will call you up and ask if you plead guilty to the amended charge. You plead guilty and he bangs the gavel and levies the fine.

7. Head over to the clerks office where you need to pay the fine in full or make arrangements to pay. If this is your first time, figure you will end up owing between $335 and $435 (fine+surcharge+court fees) in fines. This will result in no points and no moving violations on your record.

This is pretty much the best you can hope for in most cases on your own. You could offer to plead guilty to a cell phone violation which carries no points, but has a $130 fine. A lot of prosecutors will go for this as the town gets pretty much the same money as the $250 surcharge on Unsafe Operation is paid to the state, not the town. If it were me, I would offer to plead guilty to a cell phone violation and go from there.

A lawyer would have a better chance of getting you a cell phone violation, but you have to weigh that against how much the lawyer will charge. Most around here charge $100-$150 to represent you and there is no guarantee that they will be able to get the cell phone charge versus unsafe operation. The worst case is hiring the lawyer and still getting unsafe operation as you pretty much just threw your money away.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,299 times
Evesham traffic court is a scam, as are the drug addict police officers. They will nab you for turning right off Route 73 using the "shoulder" (which should really be a turn lane) where just about any other part of NJ would consider it a perfectly acceptable turn. Good luck fighting it, in NJ you have to make multiple appearances to contest a ticket. Just another way this state is screwing the little guy. I ended up paying the ticket since I am an out-of-state resident and the points do not show up on my out of state license. ********* NJ.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:16 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,926,019 times
If you don't want the points, you will have to go to court and spend a few hundred.

There are stretches of road around Moorestown and Evesham that they sit to catch people driving on the shoulder or being on the shoulder lane too early for turning. This is especially true during traffic hour. I was pulled over once right by the B&N heading to the store. I was giving a warning for going on the should lane too early to make a turn into the store.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:21 PM

I do have a somewhat local lawyer who probably won't charge me too much. I'll have to give him a call tomorrow. I also just noticed the court date on the ticket is when I will be on vacation. I must have some bad mojo going on.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 PM

Talk about timing. My lawyer literally called me as soon as I hit post. He pretty much said no problem with the points and it will cost me about $400 all in. You have to love the justice system.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,299 times
You can call and ask for a continuance without even hiring a lawyer. Hiring a lawyer for a traffic ticket is a waste of money. You'd be better off just paying the ticket and dealing with the points, unless your license is in jeopardy.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
You can call and ask for a continuance without even hiring a lawyer. Hiring a lawyer for a traffic ticket is a waste of money. You'd be better off just paying the ticket and dealing with the points, unless your license is in jeopardy.
It's fine. He owes me one anyway.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Talk about timing. My lawyer literally called me as soon as I hit post. He pretty much said no problem with the points and it will cost me about $400 all in. You have to love the justice system.
It sounds like he is planning to take the "Unsafe Operation" route. If you talk to him again, see if he is willing to try for a cell phone violation instead. It should save you at least $250 or so. I can't think of any compelling reason why you wouldn't want to try that route first.

The one major perk of having a lawyer is that the attorney's get to speak to the prosecutor first (and cut the line) and the judge also calls their cases first. You can easily go from spending 2+ hours in traffic court to spending 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia