Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 07:30 PM

22 posts, read 44,639 times

Advertisements

Currently considering leaving Camden County area for Cape May County. We are years from retirement but schools around here are filled up and sometimes have not been that great for my family. Our neighborhood is becoming more crime ridden, neighbors and friends moving away, and we are considering it an opportunity to get out of the shopping center towns and raise our child in what we perceive as a calmer more interesting place to grow up.

I have taught elementary and middle school and I would be seeking work in some district in the 40 minute range of the home, and the missus works from home. Our son is heading into 5th grade. Any suggestions for good school districts and reasonable quality of life along Cold Spring, Lower or Upper township areas? I have heard OC is decent but more of a big city feel.
We are not looking for big houses, nor do we expect to be on the beach. Is this doable for $300-400k? Any recommendations?

Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,082 times
Cape May County is pretty much a completely different world compared to Camden County. Especially if you travel to Cape May Courthouse and even further down the Parkway. Won't say that it is totally calm since let's be honest, it is still NJ. But all the way down to the end of South Jersey, life during the off season is actually quite the dream for a calm life. During the tourist (shoobie) season, everywhere in Cape May County is slamming.

Take a look at the map on Zillow and see what is available within your price range. You will most likely find something that is even within 10-20 mins to the nearest beach.

Issues with the area down here in Cape May County other than the typical drugs which is everywhere. During the off season, 85% of everything closes. For shopping, we have some stores but nothing you will have if you were to drive 30-45 mins to either Cumberland County or EHT.

For OC having a big city feel. During the tourist season, sure, only for the traffic. But really, its just another shore town with the typical local stores. It really is a great town if you can afford it.

Just to name a few towns:
For Upper Township, OC, Somers Point, Marmora, Oceanview and checkout towns along RT 9.
For Middle Township, Cape May Courthouse and the backwoods are pretty nice and secluded.
For Lower Township, people will likely call me out on this one but, Villas (its under heavy development at the moment), North Cape May, if affordable, Cape May.

Def take a trip down before the season starts to wonder around and try to get lost and feel things out.

For schools, can't really say too much about them as we only have one in Pre-K which really seems to be going pretty good so far.

Hope this helps out some.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:08 PM

I appreciate this. I keep hearing people recommend OC because the schools are ranked higher than a lot of districts around here without the overcrowding but I have had concerns about tourists, robberies and the influx of folks during the tourist season who just don’t care about the people or town since they are leaving soon. My son is into sports and I know there is a whole bunch of competition and lots of leagues there. I also think it may make sense that things may be calmer there during the school year for both my son and myself, if not as chilled out as an easy going rural place that may not be able to afford in another place. If anyone else has any info, I’m willing to answer here or in emails. Thanks for responding

Old 01-08-2019, 12:55 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
You're going to have to find a job first. You know that. You can't move down there unless you have a job.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Really? I thought you were going to send me money for the down payment.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:10 PM

You're asking us about school districts? Asking about towns is a different matter. The beach towns have festivals and events in the fall and winter which cause the traffic to become almost half as bad as Rt. 70 on a Friday evening. No one knows where they're going. You'd think that they'd have GPS or have one eye an Waze, but no.

It's definitely more quiet down there away from the beach in the winter. Really quiet. I've walked out to the main road looking for a car. Nothing. I didn't live there, but was staying with a friend for a week.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:43 PM

Why, do you think, I am asking about school districts?

Old 01-08-2019, 07:56 PM

"Any suggestions for good school districts..." That sort of thing. Good night and good luck.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:55 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panjteacher View Post
Currently considering leaving Camden County area for Cape May County. We are years from retirement but schools around here are filled up and sometimes have not been that great for my family. Our neighborhood is becoming more crime ridden, neighbors and friends moving away, and we are considering it an opportunity to get out of the shopping center towns and raise our child in what we perceive as a calmer more interesting place to grow up.

I have taught elementary and middle school and I would be seeking work in some district in the 40 minute range of the home, and the missus works from home. Our son is heading into 5th grade. Any suggestions for good school districts and reasonable quality of life along Cold Spring, Lower or Upper township areas? I have heard OC is decent but more of a big city feel.
We are not looking for big houses, nor do we expect to be on the beach. Is this doable for $300-400k? Any recommendations?

Thanks for reading
well the first thing I would say is you definitely need to come down and spend some time before just making a decision. Ocean City is not a city feel ( I just moved from Ocean City after 18 years there )There is a downtown area that runs from about 14th St. to fifth Street. That part is a small city I suppose, it is a downtown area very walkable, kind of old fashioned feel, very friendly. That’s where all the parades are and things like that. During the Christmas season they have free horse and carriage rides there and Carolers and things like that. The rest of Ocean City however is nothing at all like a city. It is however, extremely expensive. It is also the only dry town in Atlantic or Cape May Counties.

You don’t say what kind of area you want to live in. Do you want to live in a beach area, or an area like upper Township which is a mix of suburban areas and very woodsy areas?

I’m not sure about the demand for teachers in Cape May County, but I think there’s a website where you can check. The biggest school district in the shore area is really not in Cape May County it’s in Atlantic County, Galloway Township school district (nice very suburban area) That would be about a 45 minute commute if you were in Cape May. The problem with Cape May County is the schools don’t have enough kids anymore in many towns, while areas like Galloway need to keep building new schools. But again look online and see who is listing openings.

If I were just going by schools, I would look into upper Township if you don’t like it can’t swing OC (probably not with a $400,000 limit). Upper Township students are bussed to Ocean City high school, which has an excellent reputation. If you are in lower Township or Cape May, they’ll go to Lower Cape May Regional high, which I don’t know much about. I think demographically, there are more lower income people in lower Twp, not sure if there’s any effect on schools or not.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-12-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 09:04 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panjteacher View Post
I appreciate this. I keep hearing people recommend OC because the schools are ranked higher than a lot of districts around here without the overcrowding but I have had concerns about tourists, robberies and the influx of folks during the tourist season who just don’t care about the people or town since they are leaving soon. My son is into sports and I know there is a whole bunch of competition and lots of leagues there. I also think it may make sense that things may be calmer there during the school year for both my son and myself, if not as chilled out as an easy going rural place that may not be able to afford in another place. If anyone else has any info, I’m willing to answer here or in emails. Thanks for responding
Ocean City is a huge sports school, he will have competition. A lot of their kids get scholarships. As for crime, Ocean City is very safe. I never had a single incident or fear in 18 years and walked everywhere day and night. The crime rate is very low compared to beach towns like Wildwood. I never knew anyone there personally who was a victim of any crime. However yes, the summer people (Shoobies) are a PITA. It drove me a little mad every summer. Be warned the summer traffic will affect you even in Upper Twp, as many take route 9 down to Cape May area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia