Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:32 PM

756 posts, read 2,118,845 times

Advertisements

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...nclick_check=1

"Gloucester Premium Outlets, a retail center with about 450,000 square feet of space, will include a “town square” with outdoor dining and other amenities. The 55-acre project is a partnership between an affiliate of Simon Property Group and PREIT-Rubin Inc., an offshoot of the mall developer."

Will this hurt the Deptford Mall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:17 AM

8 posts, read 13,073 times
While I'm not sure of the impact to the Deptford Mall I can say that there seems to be mixed feelings about the proposed outlets. I just relocated to Gloucester Township from Philly and outside of what I imagine will be a traffice mess I'm pretty excited about the outlets coming to town. I wish more Jersey folks would weigh in.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:48 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,891,262 times
Pretty far from us but will be visiting anyway.. Can't wait

Old 07-29-2013, 12:40 PM

584 posts, read 1,426,087 times
Assuming they have a nice mix of good stores, I'm really excited. I used to drive 1 hr+ to get out to the Phila Premium Outlets in Limerick.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,041,687 times
I guess I'm in the minority but I am NOT happy about the outlets coming here. It's just about a mile from where I live. The traffic is going to be horrible. I'm disappointed to see the green space used for retail stores or anything else. Plus, I just read that there will be a tax abatement for 25 years on this project.

I don't see why they couldn't have done something with the Blackwood-Clementon road area. There's a lot of empty retail space going to waste.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:42 AM

32,954 posts, read 36,412,347 times
I'm still trying to figure out exactly where this will be built.

Fifty five acres of agricultural land lost to a shopping center. I'm never going to go there.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,714,286 times
There used to be an outlet mall in the general vicinity. It might have been Somerdale.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:48 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,719,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm still trying to figure out exactly where this will be built.

Fifty five acres of agricultural land lost to a shopping center. I'm never going to go there.
It's being built right near Grenloch Lake, down the road from Camden County College. If you look on the map it's an area near Grenlock Lake bounded by College Drive on the south, Route 168 (Blackhorse Pike) on the west, Route 42 (North-South Freeway) on the east and Davistown Road on the north. Zimmerman Drive and Cooper Boulevard are in the area that will be redeveloped. It's basically the area that lies directly off of Route 42 exit 7B heading southbound.

As for the impact of the stores, I think in general outlets have a different vibe and attract a different customer base than you would find at traditional mall retail. People who like outlets seek them out and I'm sure these will become quite popular. However, I can't see them cannibalizing sales from the malls.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:03 AM

756 posts, read 2,118,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

As for the impact of the stores, I think in general outlets have a different vibe and attract a different customer base than you would find at traditional mall retail. People who like outlets seek them out and I'm sure these will become quite popular. However, I can't see them cannibalizing sales from the malls.
Sometimes the stores start out as "outlet" but then it goes traditional. Many so called outlet malls are really a mix of outlet and traditional stores, not 100% outlet. Also, people will go to the outlets for a better deal and skip the mall. Deptford I believe is pretty close in proximity and likely the closest mall to take that hit.

The four anchors at Deptford are probably fine, but the inline stores (like GAP) might close the mall store and prefer the lower cost open space center, leaving Macerich left filling the spaces with mom&pop stores.

Considering that PREIT will be part owner of this outlet mall, I wouldn't be surprised if PREIT will sell off Voorhees Town Center, which is also nearby and has retail but not a strong retail component. If Deptford loses customers with shoppers going to outlets, Boscov's and Macy's might considering downsizing between Voorhees and Deptford. The Voorhees store will close in that type of scenario. PREIT will probably want to sell out while the property is somewhat stable right now before there is anchor loss and difficult redevelopment opportunities there, when the value of Voorhees Town Center will much less.

Last edited by avg12; 07-30-2013 at 11:03 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,719,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
Sometimes the stores start out as "outlet" but then it goes traditional. Also, people will go to the outlets for a better deal and skip the mall. Deptford I believe is pretty close in proximity and likely the closest mall to take that hit.

If PREIT or Simon owned Deptford Mall, I don't think either would finance this outlet mall.

The four anchors at Deptford are probably fine, but the inline stores (like GAP) might close the mall store and prefer the lower cost open space center.
We'll see. I personally don't care either way. I'm sure I'll check out the new outlets at least once, but my general experience with outlets has been that while they have decent prices, they have rather limited selection. That's OK for some items, not for others. I may not care if I'm buying last years blender at half price, but my son may care if I try to dress him in last years Nike's.

I do question the location though. Traffic is already insane around there and this won't help at all. I feel bad for the people who live near it on the residential streets as it's going to force even more traffic on the local surface roads. The easy on-off from the highway is good, but the local roads aren't the kind to support the kind of traffic this center will bring. Instead of eating up more green space they should have simply re-habbed one of the existing plazas. Of course, with Gloucester Township waving a 25 year tax abatement at them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia