Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:06 AM

22 posts, read 23,796 times

Advertisements

I've recently moved to Cherry Hill (from the UK) and want to replenish my stock of whisky that didn't make it with me across the Atlantic!

I am still getting used to the varying laws where most supermarkets don't (but some do) sell alcohol. Also I haven't figured out what is a good price here and what isn't. Any recommendations for good (price wise as well as selection) liquor stores?

Is there generally any price advantage to buying alcohol (spirits in particular) in DE rather than NJ? Although they have no sales tax it seems may have much higher duty? Also there seems to be a few items that are actually cheaper in PA despite their ass-backward liquor sales laws.

Had visions of driving to Delaware like I used to drive to France for cheaper wine when I lived in London, but it doesn't seem worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 09:47 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,935,791 times
I buy my wine out of state and have it shipped. There are some restrictions to what is allowed to be shipped depending on states/brand. When it comes down to it, it really depends on what you are buying. I found a liquor store in Trenton that is much cheaper than the local stores and even DE for the wine I purchased.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:53 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,756,084 times
New Jersey had a law that alcohol could not be sold in supermarkets, so as a way around it, many supermarkets created separate stores adjacent to their supermarket to sell alcohol. Also, as a result, you have many stand alone liquor stores not affiliated with a supermarket.

I think this law was changed a few years ago, so now supermarkets can sell alcohol, as I have seen in a Wegman's in Bridgewater. However, any supermarket built before the law was changed will still have that separate store.

I don't think it's worth driving from Cherry Hill to DE to buy alcohol to save on sales taxes. You're going to be losing some of that advantage through gas and tolls.

Cherry Hill Wegman's has a good selection and price point. This is one of those stores separate from the main supermarket. Wine Legend on Route 70 very close to Wegman's would also work. Roger Wilco's Wine Warehouse in Voorhees is also very good. Also, any Canal's store (there are numerous ones) will also give you the selection and price you desire.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:14 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,983,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I think this law was changed a few years ago, so now supermarkets can sell alcohol, as I have seen in a Wegman's in Bridgewater. However, any supermarket built before the law was changed will still have that separate store.
There hasn't been any law change. It's not that supermarkets are prohibited by law from selling alcohol, it's that if they do want to sell alcohol they are required to obtain a Class C, or retail license. Licenses are an expensive commodity because each municipality is only allotted a certain amount based on population, so a supermarket would have to obtain one from another establishment giving it up (a liquor store moving or going out of business), and because of the scarcity of the licenses, they can command a large pricetag.

The Wegman's in Bridgewater sells alcohol via a store the same way the Wegman's in West Windsor does-via a physically connected, but separate licensed store that has to observe liquor store hours. If you walk into Wegman's at 10:30 p.m. you'll find the store open but the liquor store will be closed. There's a small independent supermarket in Caldwell called Jack's that has a liquor license and the product is sold in store, but they have a pull down security gate (like the ones used as stores in the mall) that goes down every night at 10:00 p.m. allowing the rest of the store to stay open but no alcohol sales to take place.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 AM

73 posts, read 80,876 times
Joe Canal's Discount Liquors is quite reasonable...for everything.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:25 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,756,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
There hasn't been any law change. It's not that supermarkets are prohibited by law from selling alcohol, it's that if they do want to sell alcohol they are required to obtain a Class C, or retail license. Licenses are an expensive commodity because each municipality is only allotted a certain amount based on population, so a supermarket would have to obtain one from another establishment giving it up (a liquor store moving or going out of business), and because of the scarcity of the licenses, they can command a large pricetag.

The Wegman's in Bridgewater sells alcohol via a store the same way the Wegman's in West Windsor does-via a physically connected, but separate licensed store that has to observe liquor store hours. If you walk into Wegman's at 10:30 p.m. you'll find the store open but the liquor store will be closed. There's a small independent supermarket in Caldwell called Jack's that has a liquor license and the product is sold in store, but they have a pull down security gate (like the ones used as stores in the mall) that goes down every night at 10:00 p.m. allowing the rest of the store to stay open but no alcohol sales to take place.
When I went to the Wegman's in Bridgewater, they did have the liquor store connected to the main store, but they were also selling 6-packs of beer by the prepared food and seafood sections in the main store, and I was able to pay for them at the register in the main store with the rest of my order. That's why I thought the law had changed.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
When I went to the Wegman's in Bridgewater, they did have the liquor store connected to the main store, but they were also selling 6-packs of beer by the prepared food and seafood sections in the main store, and I was able to pay for them at the register in the main store with the rest of my order. That's why I thought the law had changed.
Interesting...it appears Wegman's is bending the law in order to do this by creating separate holding companies for multiple licenses. See this article from 2010:

Mom-and-pop liquor store owners protest increase of Wegmans that sell alcohol | NJ.com

It's also of note that beer and wine can be paid for at the register, but not spirits. The package of bills referenced in the article were never passed however, as Lou Greenwald penned this in 2015:

Opinion: It's time to modernize New Jersey's outdated liquor licensing laws | NJ.com

Old 04-11-2016, 03:10 PM

325 posts, read 369,239 times
I've lived here for 16 years, and found that Total Wine by the Cherry Hill Mall has the best prices. Go there and don't bother with anywhere else.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:45 PM

184 posts, read 370,639 times
I do drive to Delaware 3-4 times a year and stock up at Total Wine on Naamans Rd. While technically illegal, don't be afraid of doing it. The 1.75 liter bottles can be $3 cheaper plus no 7% sales tax. You can check the prices on their website by store location. TW has the best selection anywhere. In Cherry Hill Total Wine, Wegman's and Wine Legend all have reasonable prices.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discndav View Post
I do drive to Delaware 3-4 times a year and stock up at Total Wine on Naamans Rd. While technically illegal, don't be afraid of doing it. The 1.75 liter bottles can be $3 cheaper plus no 7% sales tax. You can check the prices on their website by store location. TW has the best selection anywhere. In Cherry Hill Total Wine, Wegman's and Wine Legend all have reasonable prices.
I'll be passing through Delaware this summer on my way to D.C.-would it be worth buying beer there? How much cheaper is a good craft brew such that would go for $9-10 a six pack here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia