Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:51 AM

132 posts, read 631,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
OP. I hate to burst your bubble but your order pretty much defeats the purpose of moving out of Buffalo for better economic opportunity in my opinion. In order to have anything near what you want, you would be way out in NJ which means you will be far from NY metro area (North NJ). And considering NY metro area provides the most economic opportunity that would not be right move in my opinion.

I recommend you take a look at your lifestyles and prepare to make some tough decisions on what you are willing to sacrifice because there is no way you can have the lifestyle you had in Buffalo, NY and expect to maintain that in North NJ at $ 700/month.

I lived in Buffalo and Amherst, NY so I know how affordable and how much room you get for it to live there. To translate that kind of living down here is not possible unless you pay a lot more and make a lot more money. Forget the utilities difference, do research and check out how much more you will pay for car insurance. If you want more price shocker, compare property tax as well.

If job is highest priority. I'd recommend you consider Queens, NY. Your proximity to NYC is close and there are lot of jobs available in Queens.

Lastly. For $ 700 bucks in Northern NJ or Queens, NY this is what you can expect realistically.

- No yard
- No pet
- Studio or 1 Bed with 1 Bath apartment (possibly basement)
- No designated parking space or garage

However job opportunities will be better than Buffalo for sure.
I concur with babo111. $700 rental is extremely difficult to find and if you do, it will be very far away or in a very undesirelable hood. Instead of a yard, you will have to settle for a place near a park or wooded area. Queens or Brooklyn are very expensive, small, and congested. Although Buffalo's employment opportunities are minimal, it is also difficult in NJ or NY, especially now with summer kids and recent graduates looking for jobs. As a prior post mentioned, do not move unless both of you have jobs lined up in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 03:57 PM

63 posts, read 253,657 times
You may also get something 1br 1ba at $800+ 08817 Real Estate Listings and 08817 Rentals for Rent - REALTOR.com® in Edison area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey