Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:30 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

A cousin who grew up and went to school here posted this on her Facebook page and I thought for anyone who lives there they might appreciate it. My mom grew up and went to school here & my grandparents lived here for over 50 years and I still have family here now. I think this pretty much sums up why I like this town so much. If only it were affordable.

Crazy for Cranford: New Yorkers won over by this New Jersey town's all-American charm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 07:18 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,463,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Hi all,

A cousin who grew up and went to school here posted this on her Facebook page and I thought for anyone who lives there they might appreciate it. My mom grew up and went to school here & my grandparents lived here for over 50 years and I still have family here now. I think this pretty much sums up why I like this town so much. If only it were affordable.

Crazy for Cranford: New Yorkers won over by this New Jersey town's all-American charm

It's because of all these ex-NYers that any decent town in the NE quadrant of NJ is unaffordable. And the housing crash hasn't affected these towns much. It's maddening for true middle-class people trying to buy a house in the area.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:08 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,875 times
Plenty of houses in Cranford right now. As of today 95 single family homes for sale. Multiple family listings push it over 100 easy.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:21 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,726 times
From the article: "After visiting places like Chatham, Madison and Maplewood, they found their dream home, a $560,000 Colonial in Cranford with four bedrooms and 1 ½ baths. Some of the elimination process boiled down to economics."

Does anyone else find it insane to pay well over 500K for a place that does NOT even have 2 bathrooms? And this is considered a BARGAIN? It is absolutely insane.

The taxes in Cranford are considered "more reasonable". That = 15,000 a year instead of 25,000. Ludicrous. And we are talking about a hour to 1.5 hour commute to NYC here.

Do not mean to "diss" Cranford... it is a nice spot, but NYC suburbs are a rough deal.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:29 AM

312 posts, read 1,164,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
It's because of all these ex-NYers that any decent town in the NE quadrant of NJ is unaffordable. And the housing crash hasn't affected these towns much. It's maddening for true middle-class people trying to buy a house in the area.
Most of these NYers would have stayed in NY if they had not gotten priced out of NY themselves. If you had the choice of either buying a tiny 2 bedroom apt with a lousy school district vs buying a big house with a good school district for your family, which are you going to choose? Moving to NJ is the best available solution for a lot of NY families. Where do you really except these people to go? Do you really expect them to not move to NJ just because you don't want them here?

Old 05-23-2010, 07:51 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,463,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
Most of these NYers would have stayed in NY if they had not gotten priced out of NY themselves. If you had the choice of either buying a tiny 2 bedroom apt with a lousy school district vs buying a big house with a good school district for your family, which are you going to choose? Moving to NJ is the best available solution for a lot of NY families. Where do you really except these people to go? Do you really expect them to not move to NJ just because you don't want them here?

I understand your point. But where are the middle-class people who have lived in NJ there whole lives and now can't afford to stay supposed to go?

Northern NJ was never a cheap area in which to live. But the fact that a small group of obscenely wealthy people have caused the housing prices in this area to more than double over the course of a decade drives me crazy.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:17 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,528,693 times
Housing prices doubled all over the country, not just NJ (except for a few areas, like some places in the midwest and Philadelphia, for some bizarre reason).

Old 05-23-2010, 09:45 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,505 times
"New Yorkers" moving to that area is nothing new. That article reads sort of like an advertisement. Wonder who placed it there?

Old 05-27-2010, 11:55 AM

21 posts, read 72,390 times
Thank yo for posting this article! We are building a new house in Cranford, and it calms me down to know that someone else who lived in the city appreciates it.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:10 PM

786 posts, read 2,665,250 times
Default NY Times article (Oct 2010)

Interesting, the NY Times this time has a GLOWING article on cranford.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/re.../31Living.html

Starts with:

THIS is the kind of place that no one wants to leave. And those who do often find themselves angling to come back.

The Alexo family provides a good example. Ken Alexo Jr. grew up in Cranford but left after getting married: he and his wife, Alexandra, bought a house they could afford in Clark. Last October, eight years and three children later, they moved back to Cranford. Ms. Alexo said they had considered 30 or 40 houses, but only in Cranford. They “never looked anywhere else,” she said.

Ms. Alexo described her husband’s obsession as a “sickness” — but one she has come to empathize with. “It’s such a great place to grow up. You get attached; your roots are here. People just love it.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey