Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 03:07 AM

9 posts, read 38,111 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to NJ in a few months and I am looking for a suburb with good schools, not too far from Manhattan, and where I would be able to walk to stores if the need arose. I guess Northern Jersey fits the bill, but what towns specifically would you suggest I look in? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 04:29 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,959,243 times
Lyndhurst, Rutherford, or Secaucus are my suggestions. How much can you afford and what type of housing do you want?

Old 06-30-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Lyndhurst, Rutherford, or Secaucus are my suggestions. How much can you afford and what type of housing do you want?
What about Weehawken? I'm looking to buy a 2 bedroom condo in the 400k range.

I am specifically looking for an area where I would not need a car within the town itself, since my husband will be taking it to work.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:42 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
You have to decide how close to the city you are comfortable in. Some people like places like Weehawken which id right across the river from Manhattan and others feel more comfortable going a half hour out depends how crowded you want to be also.
There are towns further out a bit, many with train stations, that have nice walkable down towns.

Also you might want to get a feel for which counties you would feel more at home in, meaning the ones up North, West, South, etc.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:17 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellewoods7777 View Post
What about Weehawken? I'm looking to buy a 2 bedroom condo in the 400k range.

I am specifically looking for an area where I would not need a car within the town itself, since my husband will be taking it to work.
There aren't many places to go in Weehawken without a car. There's just not much shopping here. We go to N. Bergen, Hoboken, & Edgewater for most of our purchases. There's lots of cheap shopping in Union City (which you can walk to) but it's mostly not high quality stuff.

I suggest Hoboken. Your budget is a little tight but I think it's doable.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 AM

11 posts, read 28,105 times
keep in mind many of the Hudson County Cities, while very walkable, don't have the greatest school systems so you might have to spend some extra $$$ for private or charter schools. You might want to check out Westfield...good shopping, etc. in the downtown area, train to NYC (not sure about the school system though).

Old 07-02-2010, 02:23 PM

8 posts, read 42,561 times
My vote goes to Rutherford, it has transportation, you don't NEED a car(but it would come in handy for things like a mall trip), the little downtown area of Park Ave is nice. Quiet and safe neighborhood's too.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims94 View Post
keep in mind many of the Hudson County Cities, while very walkable, don't have the greatest school systems so you might have to spend some extra $$$ for private or charter schools. You might want to check out Westfield...good shopping, etc. in the downtown area, train to NYC (not sure about the school system though).
I would like to put my son in a good public school. That's why we are looking for something a little more suburban than Hoboken, etc. I guess I am looking for the New Jersey version of Brentwood, Los Angeles I think I am looking at Northern NJ for something like this.

Thanks everyone for the advice, checking out all the suggestions so far.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:20 PM

11 posts, read 17,696 times
Montclair NJ for sure!

Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 PM

274 posts, read 855,813 times
I grew up in Ridgewood, approximately a 5 minute walk from two grocery stores, and 10 minutes from downtown and the train station. You can't walk to shopping or the trains from every neighborhood in Ridgewood, but depending on where you live, it could be extremely walkable.

Summit, Montclair, and Rutherford are much the same, with Rutherford being the most affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey