Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 PM

50 posts, read 133,359 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please comment on Monroe schools? I'm trying to compare it to East Brunswick. According to test scores EB is a much better school system, but those are only statistics. I would appreciate if someone can comment on a personal level as higher scores does not necessarily means is the best environment or the best school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 11:42 AM

162 posts, read 329,493 times
I went to East Brunswick schools. I have to tell you that while I do see why they are great schools, I personally got nothing out of them. I feel they totally go for the gifted children or the special education children. The middle road children, such as myself, got the shaft. That's just my opinion. I also have to say growing up in EB was much about brand names, what kind of car you drive, etc. We didn't have the money that many people do from that town, and well it becomes an issue.

I know my cousins are from Monroe and they rave on their school system. To this day, they state that Monroe, South Brunswick and EB are the best in the area. I'm not sure if its true or not.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:04 PM

I have kind of read something similar some place. A kid describing how frustrating was EB Schools for him.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,015 times
You'll probably be fine in either town. EB has a better reputation I think, but you have to balance everything for you.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
You'll probably be fine in either town.
I certainly hope so

Old 01-29-2010, 05:59 AM

137 posts, read 522,401 times
This probably answers your question:
Monroe schools superintendent reassures parents after alleged sexual assault on bus | Local New Jersey News - - NJ.com

P.S. EVERYONE I met in NJ raves about his/her school system, although the test score says otherwise.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,399 times
You can find all the information you need here:

New Jersey Schools - New Jersey State School Ratings - Public and Private

Old 01-31-2010, 09:22 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cjj View Post
I went to East Brunswick schools. I have to tell you that while I do see why they are great schools, I personally got nothing out of them. I feel they totally go for the gifted children or the special education children. The middle road children, such as myself, got the shaft. That's just my opinion. I also have to say growing up in EB was much about brand names, what kind of car you drive, etc. We didn't have the money that many people do from that town, and well it becomes an issue.

I know my cousins are from Monroe and they rave on their school system. To this day, they state that Monroe, South Brunswick and EB are the best in the area. I'm not sure if its true or not.
I grew up in East Brunswick and graduated the school system as well but I must say that I had a good experience. When I went to college I was very well prepared to write papers, do colleg math problems, and even partake in the sciences. Growing up as a kid, I hated it because there was so much work but when I got to college I really saw how good the school system in East Brunswick was. In my college class, 1/2 the class did not know how to cite sources properly or even what a thesis statement was. I am not saying that the East Brunswick school system is the holy grail because no school system is but I think it did a good job at preparing me for college and real life.

As for the wealth in the town, I will agree with you on that note. The town has a lot of somewhat wealthy families. The funny part is because these East Brunswick kids rarely get out of their town, they really do not know what true wealth is. Go to Los Angeles or Nassau County in Long Island, then they will understand how small they really are. I hated all the drama of high school, can you tell?

Old 07-21-2010, 04:15 PM

38 posts, read 153,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
When I went to college I was very well prepared to write papers, do colleg math problems, and even partake in the sciences. Growing up as a kid, I hated it because there was so much work but when I got to college I really saw how good the school system in East Brunswick was. In my college class, 1/2 the class did not know how to cite sources properly or even what a thesis statement was.
I am also a graduate of EBHS and feel the same way! At times during HS, i definitely found myself thinking what is the point of all this work? However, once i got to college, i was shocked at how advanced I was compared to my peers. I had college classes teaching lessons that had been taught to me as a young child in middle school or elementary school in East Brunswick (obviously a little more in depth, of course). East Brunswick did a great job preparing me for college and I'd recommend it to anyone.

That being said, there are issues with money and popularity at EBHS, although speaking to other kids from around the east coast, i think that they are typical HS problems you'd find anywhere. One thing i liked about EBHS was the size. Although i was not rich and popular, the school was so big that i found enough kids who lived similar to me. I honestly felt that by the time my senior year had started, everyone was more worried about the issues within their own groups of friends, not about making fun of other kids and bringing others down.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:40 PM

72 posts, read 107,997 times
momcc2's comment about EITHER Gifted Students OR Students with Special needs getting the BIGGEST benefit while the middle/average students being LOST in the system- seems to be the OVERWHELMING sentiment among thousands of parents & even kids who have graduated in many good public schools across NJ.

I must have heard that EXACT same comment that Momcc2 just made a HUNDRED times over the last 10-15 years from so many suburban parents from otherwise good or even top school districts.

It is also a repeated again & again as one of the top 3 reasons some parents of AVERAGE STUDENTS decide or justify their sending their kids to either catholic schools or private schools.
Since their kids are NEITHER GIFTED & TALENTED but are also NOT special needs- they fall into the 70% of all students who are average B+,B,C+,C students which majority of the student population fall into to. This is the group that some, not all, but some if not many fall thru the system of receiving LESS attention & help from educators.

(especially since school scores & achievements come from GPT kids while the special needs and/or trouble kids need lots of help & attention)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey