Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 02:24 PM

39 posts, read 172,938 times

Advertisements

Orignially I had planned to go to Montclair State, but after visiting more schools, I have decided to settle at William Paterson University. Now being from the PG County/Washington DC area, Im pretty sure Ill notice quite a few differences.

I also had a couple of questions about the area.

What grocery stores are best for a college student to shop at? (Anything similar to DC's Giant/Safeway/Shopper's Food Warehouse/Food Lion).

Is it possible to get to any nearby Target, Best Buy's, movie theater, malls by public transportation or walking?

What is the cheapest way to get to into NYC, and how often does that service run?

Is their any nightlife in Wayne? How bad is crime?

If you think it's anything else a college student might need to know, or be interested in around the area, please let me know!

Oh yeah, one more thing, where is the closest black barbershop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 06:35 PM

39 posts, read 184,659 times
What grocery stores are best for a college student to shop at? (Anything similar to DC's Giant/Safeway/Shopper's Food Warehouse/Food Lion).

Shoprite across the street.

Is it possible to get to any nearby Target, Best Buy's, movie theater, malls by public transportation or walking?
Macys & movie theater in the Preakness mall . It is walkable. No Target or Best Buy nearby. Diner across the street has good food. Wendy's & Mcdonald's across the street.

What is the cheapest way to get to into NYC, and how often does that service run?
Bus. Check NJ Transit website.

Is their any nightlife in Wayne? How bad is crime?
Not really. Crime? Not in Wayne. Passaic County Sheriff's Headquarters across the street.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:19 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,495,633 times
definately shoprite on hamburg tnpk
preakness mall has a kmart and some other stores. closest target is on the border of wayne and fairfield--NJ transit for that

NYC leaves from Willowbrook mall near bloomingdales--about $2 each way it takes 50 minutes and you will be let out at the terminal on 42nd st

Wayne is a safe suburb, montclair is more walkable.
there are a couple of bars and clubs near WPU though--towards haledon

you find have any trouble finding a barber shop...

go orange and black!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the feedback! And what do you mean when you say "you find have any trouble finding a barber shop"? Im guessing thats a typo.

Hopefully I can find a barbershop in the area, I don't want to have to travel all the way to the city just to get my haircut.

findinghope: I could be wrong, but I thought the bus leaving from Willowbrook to NYC was the NJ Transit Bus No. 198, and I thought that was $9.00 each way, at least thats what the NJ Transit website says. Is there another bus I don't know about? (I sure hope so)

Last edited by MadTVFreak; 08-14-2010 at 10:12 AM..

Old 08-14-2010, 02:51 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,495,633 times
opps==you WONT find any trouble finding barber shops in the area.
oohh $9? either i am completely off or it has gone WAY up in the past couple of years.
maybe now that i remember it was $6.

ANYWAY, i dont think there is a "cheaper" way to get there since if you drive, it will be $9 through GWB or Lincoln Tunnel, and then you would need to park etc.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:31 PM

334 posts, read 731,997 times
The Montclair State campus is way more accessible tio public transportation (the NJ Transit train stops right on campus) and much more of a walkable neighborhood. As for black barbershops, there are a few in Montclair. I doubt you'll find any in Wayne, but you can take the bus into Paterson and you'll find plenty.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:44 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, it's been very very helpful!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey