Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:27 PM

13 posts, read 18,918 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted an offer for a new job in NYC and I'm looking to move into the area. The job is in Chelsea and it pays $60k per year. I'm a soon to be 27 year old Caucasian male moving from from a suburban town in central NJ. Since the job is on the lower west side of Manhattan, I was thinking that the PATH train would be a great way for me to commute there. I looked at a few places in Hoboken and, although the town is awesome, it's out of my price range. I'd like to spend $700-$1000 on rent (maybe $1200 where utilities are included). I considered having a roommate and even met with a few people, but ultimately decided that I'd rather have my own place right now. Also, I have a car and the parking in Hoboken would be an issue.

So I'm wondering, can anyone give me a few suggestions on towns that I can look into that are safe, affordable, would give me a nice commute to downtown NYC, and that I can park a car in without paying for a garage spot? I've heard that Jersey City is a good option, but I'm not so sure which parts I should avoid. I've heard that the downtown area is nice, but that looks like it may be out of my price range as well. Are there other areas of the town that are nice/safe? Also, is parking an issue at the PATH locations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 01:31 PM

249 posts, read 884,015 times
You can live in west New York. The commute to the city is quick and easy. You can get into one of the co-ops or condos on Blvd East and this will also give you indoor parking.
Good Luck!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC49 View Post
You can live in west New York. The commute to the city is quick and easy. You can get into one of the co-ops or condos on Blvd East and this will also give you indoor parking.
Good Luck!
Thanks! I was wondering about this town, as well as Weehawken...are they safe?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,755 times
hey go wit ur heart......at least go out and try the experince and do the right way of ur own at least expected the unexpected

Old 03-22-2011, 02:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,777,008 times
id recommend picking up a roommate or two and live in hoboken. pay for a parking spot.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:12 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,347,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Righetti84 View Post
Thanks! I was wondering about this town, as well as Weehawken...are they safe?
Near the waterfront yes. Towards Union City you need to be wary, although not a war zone or anything, but not suburbia either.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,165,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC49 View Post
Good Luck!
On a budget of $700-$1000? I find that hard to believe.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
id recommend picking up a roommate or two and live in hoboken. pay for a parking spot.
I considered this and met with a few people looking for roommates. I'd really just rather have my own place though, even if it isnt somewhere as nice as Hoboken.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Near the waterfront yes. Towards Union City you need to be wary, although not a war zone or anything, but not suburbia either.
Thanks. Yeah, I looked at a place in Union City and it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:53 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,016,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Righetti84 View Post
I considered this and met with a few people looking for roommates. I'd really just rather have my own place though, even if it isnt somewhere as nice as Hoboken.
The problem is your budget is to put it blunt, cheap for anywhere within walking distance to a PATH/NJ Transit train in North Jersey. Your budget gets you 30 yr old garden apt in the hood. Not exactly what I think you are looking for. I know for a fact you can get a 1 bedroom in downtown jersey city for 1200-1400, but you will be paying for utilities, and you will be parking on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey