Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 01:37 PM

Location: Where Sunday shopping is prohibited :) - Bergen County, NJ!
108 posts, read 162,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
These laws kept me from living in Bergen Country - instead, I live in Union county. Why? I felt it portrayed intolerance towards non-Christians and that it likely indicated that my family would not be treated fairly and kindly. River Edge's comments, which have grown increasingly aggressive as folks have disagreed with him/her, seems to back that up.

Why should I be punished - fined or imprisoned - for failing to acknowledge someone else's holy day? And for those who claim this has nothing to do with religion - say what you might about River Edge, but they are honest.

First of all. You do not live in Bergen County - and you are not affected by the law. Like I said before, today, it has nothing to do with religion, but orginially it was a religious law - otherwise it wouldn't be on a Sunday. Some people say it's still about the Christian sabbath, while other says it's about traffic on Rt 4 and Rt 17 and bad pollution, and that residents, particularly in Paramus, needed a day off from all of the "junk".

Who said you are punished, fined or imprisoned by the law? You do not work or own a store in Bergen County either. 95% of store owners are FOR the law, that's why the law is still in effect. People need to rest for a day, and you should accept that !

People living in the county like the law, whether is religious or non-religious. That's why we have blue law... it's not that one person decided this law like a dictator

The reason why I called Sunday shoppers for morons was because people here called Blue Law lovers for morons. Sorry for saying that - but I was being told moron first.

I also forgot to mention that the United States of America has the most Christian population than any other country in the World.
It is also among the most religious nation, and by far the most church-attended.

You live in a Christian nation, so do not get surprised by this law - I'm even surprised & chocked that their aren't even stricter law in the entire nation when it comes to Sunday shopping & Christian holidays ! Christmas is the only federal holiday in the U.S., while there are many other important Christian holidays that for example Europe celebrate.

Last edited by River Edge; 11-06-2010 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 02:42 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,305,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Edge View Post
I also forgot to mention that the United States of America has the most Christian population than any other country in the World.
It is also among the most religious nation, and by far the most church-attended.

You live in a Christian nation, so do not get surprised by this law - I'm even surprised & chocked that their aren't even stricter law in the entire nation when it comes to Sunday shopping & Christian holidays ! Christmas is the only federal holiday in the U.S., while there are many other important Christian holidays that for example Europe celebrate.
1. America is NOT a Christian nation. It is mentioned nowhere within the Constitution, and the First Amendment does not allow government to declare/endorse an official religion.

While the majority of American citizens are Christian, or at least claim to be, it's now roughly 20-25% of the population of the country that is another faith, agnostic, atheist - at least something not Christian. And since we're talking New Jersey, it's probably a few percent higher due to demographics (more Jews/Muslims/Hindus/etc...) and liberalism (more atheists/agnostics)

2. It's fine that you're Christian. You certainly have the right to be. More people in this country worship the almighty dollar. So if you want to do business on Sunday, why not? If you want to go to church and then hang around the house after, why not?

3. Since America has the right of religious freedom, and freedom from religion if you choose - the argument over blue laws should be about quality of life and not religious reasons. Especially considering, anywhere between 20-30% of your county is not Christian.

If Bergen County wants Sunday off just to have a day of peace and quiet, less traffic and trying to escape the insanity of living in Babylon - so be it. There's always other counties nearby if people want to shop.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
1. America is NOT a Christian nation. It is mentioned nowhere within the Constitution, and the First Amendment does not allow government to declare/endorse an official religion.

No Christian country in the world is saying that the country is Christian officially, but it really is. If the majority of the country are Christians = Christian nation. If the U.S. was not a Christian nation - Christmas would not be a federal holiday. How come we do not have Jewish or muslim holidays for example?

As of 2009:

78% of Americans are Christian.
15% are No religion
1-2% Jewish and Muslims

98% of Americans celebrate Christmas.

While the majority of American citizens are Christian, or at least claim to be, it's now roughly 20-25% of the population of the country that is another faith, agnostic, atheist - at least something not Christian. And since we're talking New Jersey, it's probably a few percent higher due to demographics (more Jews/Muslims/Hindus/etc...) and liberalism (more atheists/agnostics)

Nearly 70% of New Jerseyans are Christians.
2% Jewish and 1% Muslims

2. It's fine that you're Christian. You certainly have the right to be. More people in this country worship the almighty dollar. So if you want to do business on Sunday, why not? If you want to go to church and then hang around the house after, why not?

If you live in a Christian nation - or where the majority by far are Christians, you should fallow their sabbath and rule.
If you live in a muslim nation, you must fallow their sabbath and rule, and same with all other religion.

If doubt your Jewish - would a Christian be allowed to show off their Christianity on Jewish streets in Israel? NO, because they get attacked. Proof on it on youtube !

3. Since America has the right of religious freedom, and freedom from religion if you choose - the argument over blue laws should be about quality of life and not religious reasons. Especially considering, anywhere between 20-30% of your county is not Christian.

They, you have the religious freedom. Blue Law is not religious reason now, but it used to be. 17% of non-Christians is not enough support being against the religious blue law !

If Bergen County wants Sunday off just to have a day of peace and quiet, less traffic and trying to escape the insanity of living in Babylon - so be it. There's always other counties nearby if people want to shop.
Yes, so go and shop as much as you want in other places.
BLUE LAW WILL NEVER EVER ABOLISHED

PS ! God Bless all Christians

Old 11-10-2010, 06:40 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Its not a Religious law anymore , its a traffic control law........Stop making it out to be a Religious thing...

Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its not a Religious law anymore , its a traffic control law........Stop making it out to be a Religious thing...
You're right, it's not about religion anymore, but originally it was.
Otherwise it would not be on a Sunday.

I think this law should also be in Los Angeles area because of their extreme traffic

Old 09-24-2017, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Edge View Post

The Blue Law in Bergen County ONLY prohibit sale of Electronic, Clothing & Shoes, Car sales/dealership - nothing else on Sundays.
The Blue Law in town of Paramus PROHIBITS all retail stores remaining closed on Sundays (except Gas Stations/Grocery Stores/Restaurants/Movie theathers).

However, even though some local stores are allowed to remain open - owner's still decide to close on Sundays.

PARAMUS, where four major mall are located, the town even has more restricted blue laws than the county itself - so EVERYTHING is shut down except Restaurants, Grocery & Movie theathers. For example; Barnes & Noble in Paramus is CLOSED on Sundays, but in Hackensack it remains open.

Local residents of Paramus love it - and so is the major of the town saying "over his dead body stores will remain open on sundays".

So even if the county lifted the blue law - Paramus will still enforce it - which means all malls (except Riverside Sq. Mall in Hackensack) will still be closed, and all other stores.
But this would never happen anyway - we had the blue law for more than 50 years

GOD BLESS THIS STRICT BLUE LAW - I WISH EVERYTHING WAS SHUT DOWN ON SUNDAYS & HOLIDAYS, EVEN RESTAURANTS AND GROCERIES AND PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION!
YOU SIR ARE A COMPLETE RETARD. WHY DON't YOU SHOVE YOUR BLUE LAW ALONG WITH YOU HYPOCRITICAL RELIGION UP YOU ASS? LOSER

Old 09-24-2017, 09:26 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
The law discriminates against those that dont practice their faith on sundays.

Some states offer no beer on sundays, which means one has to plan a bbq, and visitors can not bring an offering or booze when they come over.

This aint the damn 50s!

Old 09-24-2017, 10:38 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni1321 View Post
YOU SIR ARE A COMPLETE RETARD. WHY DON't YOU SHOVE YOUR BLUE LAW ALONG WITH YOU HYPOCRITICAL RELIGION UP YOU ASS? LOSER
The poster you are yelling at is a troll that has gone through about 15 new screen names since this post. As you can see, that screen name was banned. Nothing to get worked up about. Nobody takes him seriously anymore.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:15 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
In a town like river edge that borders one of the biggest retail zip codes in America I agree. If you live further from paramus it really doesn't matter as Passaic county is nearby to northern Bergen county (Wayne, butler) and southern Bergen county (Clifton and Hudson county)

Having lived in all parts of Bergen county, I say paramus is the worst in regards to non stop traffic

Old 09-25-2017, 09:02 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
zombie thread from 2010
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey