Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Edge View Post
Most towns main street shops are still closed on Sundays, even though some are allowed to remain open.

Which main street are you talking about? I will report it to the county, because they are NOT allowed to be open on Sunday if they sell electronic, clothes & shoes !
Westwood , Washington Township , Ridgewood , Ramsey , Closter , all allow stores to be open on Sunday with a Request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 PM

Location: Where Sunday shopping is prohibited :) - Bergen County, NJ!
108 posts, read 162,435 times
Lots of people ask if the blue law has something to do with religion or not.

Answer: Originally, the blue law was a religious law to have Sunday, a day of rest, which is the Christian sabbath. The founder of the law was a religious Christian.
That's why it is on a Sunday and not any other day of the week.

WHY on a Sunday and not any other day of the week then ?! It could have been on a Monday for example, because that's non religious holy day.

But the last decade or so, the law still remained left because of heavy traffic on Rt 4 and 17, particularly in Paramus where most malls & shopping are located in, and most people wanted a day of rest, and a day free from traffic, pollution etc. Especially those living in Paramus.

Like it or not, this law will remain forever.
Don't like it? Move out from the county !

Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Westwood , Washington Township , Ridgewood , Ramsey , Closter , all allow stores to be open on Sunday with a Request.
What do they sell? Don't tell me Ice-cream & candy

Because the law only affects sale of clothing, shoes, electronic & car dealership.

I was in Downtown Ridgewood last Sunday, I haven't seen any store open other than eat places

Old 11-04-2010, 08:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
What do they sell? Don't tell me Ice-cream & candy

Because the law only affects sale of clothing, shoes, electronic & car dealership.

I was in Downtown Ridgewood last Sunday, I haven't seen any store open other than eat places
Electronics , Home Supply's , Ice Cream , Candy , Books , Pet food......but your right most stores still don't open.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Electronics , Home Supply's , Ice Cream , Candy , Books , Pet food......but your right most stores still don't open.

In Paramus, all of these stores you mentioned (except food places) are NOT allowed to be open, because of their stricter blue law than the county itself has.

Electronic are prohibited to be open, but the rest are fine because blue law do not affect them.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
My cousin Bob lives in Bergen Co. and he says that this law is commonly ignored by those wishing to conduct business on Sundays who simply keep the shades pulled down, engage in all manner of transactions in a party-type atmosphere and load their customers' goods out the back door. What the Blue Laws don't know, won't hurt 'em.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
I LOVE the blue law in Bergen County, NJ !

It is AMAZING being off on Sunday, being able to go to church sometimes, relax and have great family time. A day no need to worry about damn traffic, or worry about working thay day (in retail).
Yes, drug/grocery stores are open - that's about it. More than enough. - You could live one day a week without shopping.... stores close late anyway on other days.

I think the entire state should have the blue law - the first state having that
When I out of state people we're closed on Sunday - they are impressed and glad for it, and call us lucky.

May God Bless those who are for the blue law
So you think this should be state-wide. . .do you have any concept how fast that would be shot down?

I hope that you aren't watching TV or listening to the radio. There are people that have to work on Sundays & holidays so that people who aren't working can watch & listen.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Even though you are a fine church-going Catholic, you are living in an area that the Dutch Reformed Church beat you to by a couple hundred years.
LOL, I know what you mean & I never lived in Bergen County. I did spend my chilhood in Grand Rapids Michigan where the majority religion was Christian Reform. That place closed up tighter than a drum on Sundays. Except restaurants, because the Dutch women didn't cook on Sundays.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:49 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, I know what you mean & I never lived in Bergen County. I did spend my chilhood in Grand Rapids Michigan where the majority religion was Christian Reform. That place closed up tighter than a drum on Sundays. Except restaurants, because the Dutch women didn't cook on Sundays.
Oh yes, most of the people I knew from childhood had family in Michigan and Iowa, other Dutch Reformed strongholds. The RCA (Reformed Church of America) and the Christian Reformed Church are the descendants of the old Dutch church. Not quite sure what divided them into two churches--some obscure theological point--but each believes that they are better than the other one.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
My cousin Bob lives in Bergen Co. and he says that this law is commonly ignored by those wishing to conduct business on Sundays who simply keep the shades pulled down, engage in all manner of transactions in a party-type atmosphere and load their customers' goods out the back door. What the Blue Laws don't know, won't hurt 'em.
Who cares if your cousin or any other person doing private business on Sundays - as long as everything else is shut down Malls are at least closed, that's the main point. Whether his doing "crime" business is up to him - he loose his day off for money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey