Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 PM

803 posts, read 1,266,247 times

Advertisements

I remember picking up a TIME magazine article about Edison, NJ and it talked about Indians being 20 percent of the population there. I was like "okay this is great" but then it talked about the animosity that Indians faced, basically having visited New Jersey, my family members who live there told me about the racism they faced mainly from the White population (they live elsewhere in Jersey).

Anyways here is the link, had me thinking:

Joel Stein on Immigration, New Jersey's Indian Influx - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 06:55 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,633,686 times
Maybe mild racism or a few attacks or verbal abuse on Sikhs. or Mr Patel who doesn't keep his motel clean. Apart from that Indians have a good presense. When people face their doctor or daily Duncan donuts lady whose Indian what point is there for racism. Among white suburban populations they're more prefered than hispanics or blacks. If anything its the arrogant newly arrived Indians who act like they're still in India who give a bad name.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:39 PM

467 posts, read 1,522,921 times
I certainly wouldn't take Joel Stein very seriously on this or any other issue. He is a humorist who frequently attempts to be "edgy" but usually just comes across being somewhat foolish. He is a master at being offensive and then apologizing. Edge and offensive are great if you're funny, but he has trouble pulling off that part.

Edison is a great town in NJ with a wonderful support system for Indian families. The biggest problem I have with Edison is that all the good Indian food is concentrated there rather than being more spread out, which results in NO Indian food in my town, which is upsetting. I need curry, damn it!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 PM

I mean I just heard that in most New Jersey suburbs they prefer Chinese and East Asians or no minorities at all.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:49 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
I mean I just heard that in most New Jersey suburbs they prefer Chinese and East Asians or no minorities at all.

Although I find this notion very insulting, it is true.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Although I find this notion very insulting, it is true.
I wonder why but it must only be common in New Jersey.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:34 PM

88,622 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Your best bet is always to lose the "they" outlook and take people as individuals, not matter what their race or religion or where they come from.

If you get it in your head that all white people are racists who aren't going to like you because you are Indian, that's all you are ever going to see.

That sentence can be used interchangeably if you insert other races/nationalities for "white" and "Indian".

Old 12-11-2010, 02:01 PM

okay then...

also I am curious, I am an Indian guy that loves Latinas (even more than Indian women), dated one down south for a while and stuff, do you think such an interracial couple exists in New Jersey?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:41 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,575,776 times
Quote:
okay then...

also I am curious, I am an Indian guy that loves Latinas (even more than Indian women), dated one down south for a while and stuff, do you think such an interracial couple exists in New Jersey?

Without a doubt such couples exist here. I don't know about the racism situation out in the burbs, but in urban jersey everybody has to co-mingle. I live in Hudson County and we have a lot of every race. I see all types of people everyday. I see a lot of Indian and Hispanic people all the time in the same places so I am sure some have hooked up with each other. Oh and BTW I like all different races of women, but Latina women are one of my favorites also, Muy Caliente!

Old 12-11-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Without a doubt such couples exist here. I don't know about the racism situation out in the burbs, but in urban jersey everybody has to co-mingle. I live in Hudson County and we have a lot of every race. I see all types of people everyday. I see a lot of Indian and Hispanic people all the time in the same places so I am sure some have hooked up with each other. Oh and BTW I like all different races of women, but Latina women are one of my favorites also, Muy Caliente!
Yea, as I said, I love em more than Indian women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey