Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 02:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,493 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm going to be attending Stevens institue this coming term and looking to move to Hoboken within a month. Do you guys have any recommendations for housing? I'm looking for a studio or a one bedroom apartment.

I'm moving from Portland, Oregon, and i see that the prices are a lot different. I'd like to find a nice place for no more than $1500, but if takes more i guess i might have to push it a little.

Also, I'm still debating weather i should ship my car or not, what do you think?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 03:43 AM

7 posts, read 12,583 times
I am actually looking for an apartment in the Hoboken area right now as well, so please share your results once you are all settled. I'll be living in the area after graduation in May but am still looking in the same price range as you are. I will be commuting south into NJ so I've looked into the car situation as well. Congrats on Stevens - its a great school and I have some friends that go/went there so I know a little about it. I've never lived in Hoboken so my answer is based on the research I have done so far.

You can definitely get an apartment for $1500/month in Hoboken but your money will go a lot further if you get a room mate and split a 2 or 3BR (or even a 1BR if you don't mind living dorm style). If you don't know anyone in the area and aren't comfortable living with a random person from craigslist (I wouldn't be either)..Check to see if Stevens has a message board or some other way to connect people looking for a room mate. I know my school does. There are also 3rd party websites that help find an appropriate room mate and even do background checks and stuff..just google room mate matching service or something similar.

As far as the car situation goes... the average person who lives and goes to school/work in Hoboken definitely does not need a car. Since you'll be going to Stevens, you probably won't leave hoboken very often and when you do it will probably be to go into the city - which is easily accessible on the PATH train. Almost everything you could ever want to need is accessible by subway/train in the Hoboken/NYC area. The only reason you may want a car is if think you'd like to get out of this very urban area on the weekend to ski or hike or whatever. Parking can be expensive (think $200+ per month). Stevens has on campus parking which I think you would qualify for if you were living off campus but it is still steep - $275/semester. If you are worried about wanting your car for to occasional trip out of the area you may want to look into ZipCar (an hourly car rental service that caters to your urbanites).

Feel free to message me if you want to chat more!

Old 12-07-2010, 04:39 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
You should probably look in Neighboring Weehawken , Jersey City Heights ,Journal SQ section of Jersey City or Union City which all have great Rail / Bus transit connections..... Hoboken is a bit pricey , so those locations i just listed above are more responsible for 1500$ apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey