Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 6,157 times

Advertisements

I'm a mid-level Manager having a need to switch jobs. I have owned my beautiful home in South Brunswick NJ for the past 14 years. I'm considering a job in Purchase NY. I don't want to sell my home and move closer to Purchase. I'm looking for tips to commute to Purchase NY.

I'm hoping there are others commuting from NJ to Purchase.

Appreciate all tips on commuting.

Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 11:37 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,987,609 times
Do whatever you can to avoid travelling in peak times. I don't know that full route, but that seems like a killer drive.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:31 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,234,006 times
Personally I wouldn't consider that a viable commute.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:45 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,954,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerasant View Post
I'm a mid-level Manager having a need to switch jobs. I have owned my beautiful home in South Brunswick NJ for the past 14 years. I'm considering a job in Purchase NY. I don't want to sell my home and move closer to Purchase. I'm looking for tips to commute to Purchase NY.

Thx
you may be very insane for attempting this commute BUT it is still very doable PM me your job location to help you better.

use suburban bus to NYC at AM some trips go to grand central DIRECTLY!!!!!!! there use the harlem line train to white plains then finally BL W12 OR shuttle based on where you work. If you work on westchester ave then you need the lettered lines from white plains. With the cost of tolls its still cheaper and faster to use the bus metro-north combo. suburban has HOV immunity at AM so its way faster. Plus the buses at white plains are timed with trains. This trip is still faster than driving.

In a nutshell only 2 buses and a train not as bad as it sounds. It's like this 1 bus then 1 train then another bus to complete the trip. At rush hour buses from NJ serve grand central directly.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:56 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,603,205 times
People usually discourage others from long commutes but sometimes you like your home and like your job so you make the best of it. I would be irked at having to pay all the recently increased tolls each day but maybe suggest the GSP and Tappan Zee route to avoid the GWB and Bronx traffic.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,954,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
People usually discourage others from long commutes but sometimes you like your home and like your job so you make the best of it. I would be irked at having to pay all the recently increased tolls each day but maybe suggest the GSP and Tappan Zee route to avoid the GWB and Bronx traffic.
GSP gets backed up badly by irvington, orange areas in essex county. So the time savings from not going through NY are cancelled out due to GSP getting backedup badly in essex county.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:15 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,711,145 times
this sounds like hell on earth, quite frankly.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:33 AM

12 posts, read 34,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerasant View Post

Thx
Wow is there no other place you can work that's closer? Even if it's Philly? or Trenton areas?

I looked it up and it's a killer commuter. You'd have to get up at the wee hours of the morning for that one

Old 01-10-2012, 06:57 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,030,765 times
I used to commute from Stamford, CT to Mahwah, NJ by car. That commute was doable as I was going against traffic. You are going with traffic and unless you leave at 5am daily my only tip is to try for public transport. Perhaps by a 'station car' that you can leave in White Plains station. My cousin has been commuting from Jersey City to Rye, NY for years and she leaves at 6am daily.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 6,157 times
Thanks for the comments.

As 'Captne76' said, the job looks attractive enough to switch to them, but it's too early to make the long term decision of relocation. So I have to try the commuting options. I'm also looking into staying locally for a couple of nights and telecommute on Fridays.

I have tried for a good 6 months for jobs in NJ, NY city and Philly.

I'm going to run a couple of test drives during the busy hours going through GWB, NY city and GSP, Tapan Zee to get an idea. Also I'll give it a try of public transportation suggested by 'qjbusmaster'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey