Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 PM

13 posts, read 38,939 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my wife is applying for a teacher's position at this school. I'm concerned about her safety going to work there if she's offered the job. We are new to NJ (been in JC for 6 months) so I don't have much first-hand experience to go by. First of all, pure logic would suggest that the neighborhood should be ok enough. after all, all the teachers and students do go there everyday. However, i am still concerned and would like to get more information if you would kindly share your view.

The school is located at 219 avon ave. Basically i'm wondering if the neighborhood around the school is a safe place, at least during the work day? To put in another way, would you feel safe to let your wife/daughter/husband/son to work there, and why? For example, is there drug/gang activities in/around the school; what area should she avoid?

Many thanks for the information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:07 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,248 times
Well.... I can say it is SAFER during the day.

Not really a good neighborhood at all...there is a lot of gang activity all over Newark.. In that area as well. My very close friend has subbed in nearly every school in that city and he cannot wait to get out. It's really affected him.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:29 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
What grade level is she teaching? Ultimately it is up to her, but I would not want my girlfriend or wife to be teaching in Newark unless she was completely out of options, or was teaching very young kids. If it is a guy you are worried about teaching in the school, it is not a big deal...

Old 01-24-2011, 11:53 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,871 times
That school and neighborhood are not good (better in daylight hours but still not good). Other than charter/private schools, Newark's schools (public) are not good. As said above younger grades are not as bad.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
That's one of the more avoidable areas of the city. It all depends on the age group of the students, the young one's shouldn't be much a serious problem- Women especially shoudn't be taking a stroll through the neighborhood, and they should try be out of sight by nightfall.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 AM

Thank you all very much for your thoughtful feedback.

Avon is one of those underperforming schools that are now managed by teachers. My wife will be teaching classes of small children. She was very much impressed by the management/faculty's dedication and skills. And the children were very well behaved. We are more concerned with her safety going through that neighborhood day in and day out. what if her car breaks down, will she get into trouble on the street? I mean there's police right, newark is not the wild west... then again, years ago, in a gang-infested neighborhood in chicago, a family of tourist made a wrong turn and ended up in crossfire....sounds like it could happen in newark??

Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,007 times
The further west you go towards Irvington the worst it gets. The school is on Avon and Bergen, and that area's not Mayberry to begin with. You definitely want to avoid anywhere west of the school. What routes are you planning to take to get there?

And why didn't you ask people who worked at the school about area safety?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:35 AM

We don't know anybody at the school or used to work there (my wife is interviewing). We did ask about neighborhood safety before; the school official said it's ok. When you are worried about your safety going to work, it's hard to discuss that with your would-be co-workers.

Initially, my feeling toward newark was "i wouldn't spend time there if i have a choice. but if i have to be there, it's actually not that bad". However, what I think i'm hearing here is "whatever you do, avoid that area for your health". Am I hearing wrong or is the latter the right way of looking at the job?

Regarding routes, that's actually a variable. I was thinking of moving to south orange, having heard good things about the town. however, it's almost due west of the school, through irvington...

Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,007 times
^^You realize this isn't a small town right? City's quite big(for Jersey standards) and there are gonna be some neighborhoods you would want to steer clear from, and the school happens to be right in the nexus of it. Again, just avoid anything west of the school along/near Avon and you should be fine. Not to scare you, but there have been gang/drug related shootings just west of there, even in broad daylight.

You can move to SO without going through Irvington. Go up to 280, take 280 east to exit 13 , turn right, and stay on that road for a couple of miles till you reach Avon Ave and the school. Lots of folks going to UMDNJ, NJIT, etc. use that exit and road(Bergen Street) during rush hours.

Last edited by Marv95; 01-25-2011 at 09:12 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 09:34 AM

Thanks. it's really helpful..scary but helpful for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey