Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 01:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,065 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I know these questions must come up very regularly, but I would really appreciate a detailed breakdown of the cost of living in Ledgewood New Jersey or surrounds.

I'm and SAP Consultant and am looking at relocating from Johannesburg, South Africa.

We brother in-law stays in Ledgewood, New Jersey and hence that being the area we are looking at staying, or close by.

I'm married with a 11 month old daughter, so please keep that in mind when discussing rental options etc.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:19 AM

65 posts, read 96,343 times
Hi dewetl:

I live fairly close to Ledgewood, and I would say that your question is complex being that you are coming from so far away. There will obviously be many costs associated with your relocation. I'm not sure what level of familiarity you have with our cost of living here in NJ.

So let me at least point out:
-Car insurance in NJ I would say averages about $1200/year minimum depending on driving record, etc. NJ is one of the most expensive states for car insurance, unfortunately.
-Your utility costs will vary depending on the type of heat you have- here you can have any type of heat from oil to gas to electric. Right now, oil is very expensive, so I would recommend gas or electric heat, if possible.
-Gas prices in the area currently are about $3/gal. so take this into account when calculating your commute.

These are all daily cost-of-living expenses that you can expect to pay. In terms of rent, it is my opinion that rent in this area, compared to other areas of New Jersey, is relatively low. That being said, it is still expensive compared to other states.

In Randolph and Flanders, two areas that are very close to Ledgewood, rent for a two bedroom apartment would be anywhere from $800 to all the way up to $2000/mo. depending on the area and quality of the apartment complex, as well as community amenities, etc. Renting a house would obviously cost more than renting an apartment. If you decided to purchase a home, interest rates are very low, but income limits, etc. are very strict. House prices in this area, for a two bedroom, could range anywhere from $150k for a fixer-upper to $300k for something much nicer, but property taxes will be steep- something NJ is known for.

I hope this answered at least some of your questions regarding cost of living and good luck to you.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:22 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,054,626 times
Hi dewetl,

I'll address rent. It will be about $1,600-$1,900 a month for a decent 2-3BR condo or townhouse in the Ledgewood area. The price would be similar for a smaller house, although there isn't a lot of inventory for detached homes.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,987,609 times
Gateways in Randolph are nice apartments. I think a BR goes for about $1300 to $1400.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,065 times
Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it and it definitely helps with the planning.

The current income bracket that seems to be very realistic at the moment for me is about $100 000 a year. Would you say that this is sufficient to live relatively comfortably if we assume that I'd be spending $2000 a month on rental of a small condo?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,054,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewetl View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it and it definitely helps with the planning.

The current income bracket that seems to be very realistic at the moment for me is about $100 000 a year. Would you say that this is sufficient to live relatively comfortably if we assume that I'd be spending $2000 a month on rental of a small condo?
Yes, that should be fine. I know many families who live relatively comfortably in Ledgewood at $75,000-$100,000. You won't be rich, but you won't be poor either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey