Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,650 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I currently live near White Plains, NY, and am considering moving to NJ with my boyfriend. We would want to be within a half an hour drive to Montvale, and we're really just looking for a nice area to live in. Unfortunately, out budget is floating around $2000 (if that!). Apartments would be the best option, though condos would be considered. Any advice on nice towns and/or apartment complexes in that area?

Also, he already works in Jersey, but I would be trying to find a job there. Just a general corporate job to have while I get my third bachelors degree (I have one in English and one in Linguistics) and work on my masters. Does anyone know of any big corporations/businesses in the area? We not even considering moving until July, but I'd like to be thorough about these decisions.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice! (And believe me, any advice will help!)

Where are you coming from? Westchester, NY
Why are you moving? To move out; more college options; more job opportunities; closer to job
Where will you be working ? 1 person in Montvale; other looking for job!

Will you buy or rent? Rent is preferred
What is your budget? $2000 (max - eep!)
What kind of place are you looking for? Nice apartment

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? Me and my boyfriend
Do you need/want good public schools? It's not in the immediate future, so it's not that important

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: Safe neighborhood, but we're from White Plains/Yonkers, so "safe" is relative. Hopefully close to town/shops. Other than that, it doesn't really matter. We're laid-back and keep to ourselves.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
1. Cheap, yet nice, place to live
2. Within 30 minutes of Montvale
3. Near town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 04:52 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,437 times
Try Mahwah. There are a lot of condos there, and a lot for rent. You can look on Realtor to see prices etc. You would be renting from a private condo owner most likely, as they are privately owned.

Another idea is Westwood. Has a cute little downtown. There are apartments there for sure.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,311 times
Default Rentals in Northern NJ

Hi:

Mahwah, Ridgewood and Montclair are all great towns to rent in. Montclair, especially, has a urban, cultural feel with tons of restaurants, shops, art museum, indy movie theater + 2 regular ones, Wellmont Theater and five trains stations to the city. Montclair University and William Paterson are near by.

Yes, I am a realtor, but not pushy. Just giving you options and updates.
I can send you a list of condos/apartments in any area you wish and when a new one arrives on the market, you will be notified by e-mail immediately. It helps with trying to hunt them down on the internet.

Customarily, there is a fee in the rental market to the tenant to use an agent in NJ, unfortunately. However, most of the good rentals are with realtors. Some, the landlord is willing to split or pay but not always the best rentals, I'm afraid.

If you would like me to send over rental updates, I'll be happy to do so.
E-mail me your info and requirements if you so wish.

Sandra Bolcar www.thecrosskeysteam.com You can reach me through my website.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:01 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbolcar View Post
Hi:

Mahwah, Ridgewood and Montclair are all great towns to rent in. Montclair, especially, has a urban, cultural feel with tons of restaurants, shops, art museum, indy movie theater + 2 regular ones, Wellmont Theater and five trains stations to the city. Montclair University and William Paterson are near by.

Yes, I am a realtor, but not pushy. Just giving you options and updates.
I can send you a list of condos/apartments in any area you wish and when a new one arrives on the market, you will be notified by e-mail immediately. It helps with trying to hunt them down on the internet.

Customarily, there is a fee in the rental market to the tenant to use an agent in NJ, unfortunately. However, most of the good rentals are with realtors. Some, the landlord is willing to split or pay but not always the best rentals, I'm afraid.

If you would like me to send over rental updates, I'll be happy to do so.
E-mail me your info and requirements if you so wish.

Sandra Bolcar www.thecrosskeysteam.com You can reach me through my website.
Mahwah, Ridgewood & I'd throw in Glen Rock, Ramsey, Allendale & Waldwick too. Montclair is not really that close to Montvale unless you live right by the Parkway.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:39 PM

11 posts, read 36,556 times
Montclair, Nutley or Bloomfield work if you pick the neighborhoods near the Parkway. Allendale, Mahwah, etc. are all a bit boring for young people. Think older families with kids when you think those places. I wouldn't rule out Englewood or Tenafly either.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:04 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
2k is a nice budget
your basic "nice" 1 bedroom is like 1200. Im talking about a spacious (500 sq ft?) 1 bedroom with wood floors, heat included, painted 1000 times over and old appliances in the kitchen and this would be in a real nice town (I can speak for Ramsey for example where my friend has an apartment).

theres some "fancy new" apartments next to the train tracksin park ridge. could be nice if you want NICE (brand new, laundry in unit? granite tops? and stainless appliances? not sure about this) not just some old dump like mentioned above. if you want to save money then the above would work great.

basically the difference between 1200 and 2000 is going to be stuff like that.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:14 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
2k is a nice budget
your basic "nice" 1 bedroom is like 1200. Im talking about a spacious (500 sq ft?) 1 bedroom with wood floors, heat included, painted 1000 times over and old appliances in the kitchen and this would be in a real nice town (I can speak for Ramsey for example where my friend has an apartment).

theres some "fancy new" apartments next to the train tracksin park ridge. could be nice if you want NICE (brand new, laundry in unit? granite tops? and stainless appliances? not sure about this) not just some old dump like mentioned above. if you want to save money then the above would work great.

basically the difference between 1200 and 2000 is going to be stuff like that.
i think joe's got it on the price differences. that's what i saw in my experience. and yes, some of the nicer listings will be through realtors, but i would contact complexes directly and use craigslist. you certainly don't have to go through a realtor, and it shouldn't be too difficult to negotiate the landlord paying the fee if you're a good prospective tenant. though, sometimes it's just easier through a realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey