Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The rich aren't going anywhere , thats a scare tactic....look at LI some of the highest taxes in the US next to our state and the Rich aren't fleeing. The Rich in this state need to be squeezed and milked , and the Middle Class and poor need to be given a break.... The City also needs to come up with a way of luring NY companies to Newark , Paterson , Elizabeth ....our states cities are our future , but we need to stop neglecting them....
It's not a scare tactic. It is very real and the numbers prove it. We have lost billions of dollars in wealth over the past decade. I can't even count how many pharmaceutical jobs have left the state. If company X comes here because the corporate tax rate is low, not only do we put our people to work, but we increase revenue because of the newly collected income tax from those workers. If the company, goes to PA or NC because our corporate tax rate is too high, then NJ loses, not the company.

It feels good to say "soak" the rich instead of the elderly, but this type of talk has lead to our decline in the last decade and it will only get worse. This type of mentality is self perpetuating. The more you soak them, the more leave, then you have to soak the remaining ones even more to make up for it and force more out, and the cycle goes around and around until you are left with only the very rich and very poor. Sound familiar? Be careful what you wish for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Shared sacrifice?!?!?!

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha hahah
hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahqahaha hahahahahahah
hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahah

aha aha aha hahahaha ahh hha ha ha ah ha ha ha ha ha ha hah ahaha

Sorry, I can't get my breath!!!!!

Shared Whoa ho ho ho ho

Jeez, I dyi9ng here!!!!~

Nope ... this is ALL middle-class-funded, as usual!

aHe He He He WahHahHahHah

Can't wait to see what they say after they eliminate the DESERVED pensions of the working class, and they have thousands more:
1) homes on the market, diluting the value of those (middle-class) homes already there.
2) people on welfare. If you pull the rugs out from under these people, they will then become welfare/food-stamp-etc. recipients. Will that actually help? In these days?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Tax breaks to the wealthy are part of the current problem. Once again, Christie Whitman's tax cut that primarily benefitted the filthy rich created the budget gap, as she was told that it would, & she fixed that by getting the law changed to use the pension money to plug the gap.

People are streaming out of NJ to NC which has a higher income tax rate that NJ. Why? because the property tax rates are lower because there are no Abbott districts.

Businesses started leaving South Jersey over a decade ago for NC to get lower property taxes. Now they're offshore.
And how do their corporate taxes compare?

Also, how come when Obama didn't want to extend the Bush tax cuts he wasn't "raising taxes", he was just not extending the tax cuts, but when Christie didn't want to extend Corzine's tax HIKE, those same people are referring to it as "tax breaks for the wealthy"? Do people really see it that way, or do they just think the rest of us are too stupid to notice the word play?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post

Also, how come when Obama didn't want to extend the Bush tax cuts he wasn't "raising taxes", he was just not extending the tax cuts, but when Christie didn't want to extend Corzine's tax HIKE, those same people are referring to it as "tax breaks for the wealthy"? Do people really see it that way, or do they just think the rest of us are too stupid to notice the word play?
Corzine's "tax hike" simply put back what Christie Whitman's tax cut eliminated. It plugged the gap, didn't it?

I'll check on the NC corporate taxes. I'll get back to you in a bit.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Corzine's "tax hike" simply put back what Christie Whitman's tax cut eliminated. It plugged the gap, didn't it?

I'll check on the NC corporate taxes. I'll get back to you in a bit.
Then it is Corzine's fault for not having the balls to make it permanent like Whitman did.

Check SC too and then you will see a HUGE disparity.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 PM
pvs

Quote:

Do you understand the meaning of the word "SHARED"!?!?!?

Criminy ...what a FAIL here.

As much as I am against religion ... God help us ....

Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:

Here you go, everything you never wanted to know about NC taxes, N.C. Department of Revenue: Home

To answer your question, now. Most people see what Christie did as a tax break for the wealthy. Anyone who remembers Christie Whitman's tax cut, which primarily benefitted herself & her filthy rich friends looks at it that way. Most public employees & their friends & families look at it that way, because the pension money is & has been used to plug that gap.

The wealthy ain't goin' anywhere, because they aren't going to get a better deal in most states that they would have the slightest interest in going to.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 PM
pvs

Quote:
Tax breaks to the wealthy are part of the current problem. Once again, Christie Whitman's tax cut that primarily benefitted the filthy rich created the budget gap, as she was told that it would, & she fixed that by getting the law changed to use the pension money to plug the gap.

People are streaming out of NJ to NC which has a higher income tax rate that NJ. Why? because the property tax rates are lower because there are no Abbott districts.

Businesses started leaving South Jersey over a decade ago for NC to get lower property taxes. Now they're offshore.
And for her efforts to the rich, was SO duly rewarded. Kudos to your post!!!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Nexis4Jersey;.... The Rich in this state need to be squeezed and milked , ......... The City also needs to come up with a way of luring NY companies to Newark , Paterson , Elizabeth ...
I don't think I'd use that in an ad campaign to lure business, or anyone but poor people to our fair state

I can see it now "Move your business and highly paid professionals to NJ, we PROMISE to sqeeze and milk the rich"

Quote:
.......our states cities are our future.....
Please elaborate on that one.

Quote:
but we need to stop neglecting them
What do you propose, giving even more of the taxpayers money to their political machines?

If not that, what then?

Remember, you're talking about a state the Feds (Christie's US Attorneys IIRC) had to use busses to round up for corruption busts.

Thanks, but I'd rather keep my tax money local.

Last edited by doc1; 02-23-2011 at 10:03 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Do you understand the meaning of the word "SHARED"!?!?!?

Criminy ...what a FAIL here.

As much as I am against religion ... God help us ....
If you want to go on believing as a blanket statement, that wealthy people have not shared in the sacrifice, I am not going to try to change your mind. We have problems, and you may not like the solutions, and maybe they aren't fair, but we either fix the problems or we don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey