Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
oh give me a break. she isnt stupid and liberals have no concern to judge her intelligence. obama is about as intelligent as a head of lettuce and they happily voted him into power.

but us judging their relative intelligence is a silly game. the obvious reality is that people dont vote based on intelligence. liberals dont like palin because she is an unapologetic conservative and she fires up a lot of normal american conservatives. she was the only positive part of the mccain campaign.
right....obama graduated from where? and has a what kind of degree? and palin dropped out of where? cmon man. knock obama because you hate his policies, but call him unintelligent just proves you're a partisan hack. and i'm an intelligent person and i can judge her intelligence. doesn't matter if i'm liberal or conservative...i know people in both camps who think she is nothing but a reality star.

no on cares about unapologetic conservatives. she doesn't fire up normal americans, she fires up stupid, gullible americans that think that the government is trying to tell them what to eat because michelle obama doesn't want public schools to serve french fries in school, or pizza for breakfast.

honestly. get a clue. if you seriously believe any of the above, I really have no reason to respond to your posts anymore. take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What??? Should taxes be allowed to escalate indefinitely???

Democrats have been in charge of the state for the past 8 years and NJ's situation has gotten worse and worse. Even if there were problems 9 years ago, they had 8 years to work on them. If they had been looking out for the tax payer just a little bit, such drastic measures may not have been necessary now. Instead, Corzine was too busy "not being Scrooge" and McGreevy was even more generous to the public sector than Mr. Anti-Scrooge. They made a bad problem much worse. Absolutely NOTHING positive got done under those administrations. We lost businesses. We lost a large part of our tax base while our tax obligations grew and grew. All of our taxes grew exponentially, until it got so bad that even staunch democrats voted in a republican.

8 years is a long time to get things done. You seem to have a double standard here. I'm sure you have no problems assigning blame to the Bush administration for our national situation, so why do you have such a hard time admitting that McGreevy and Corzine failed us?

The buck stops with the leadership, both national AND state.
while i agree that nothing got done...what do you mean that we lost a large part of our tax base? the population has grown in the past decade. the idea that people are leaving the state is false. as for the idea of rich people leaving the state, there's nothing that shows that. all that shows is that wealth has decreased. which can be said about all of america from 2007-today. i'm not saying raising taxes is the answer. but i understand simple math, and cutting spending isn't going to get there. get the obligations in order, change the way things work going forward, and ensure that the promises that were made are kept, or an agreeable solution is determined otherwise. it's really not that complicated.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
When it comes to dumb, I liked McGreevy's theory that he could balance the budget by raising cigarette taxes. Apparently he was geography challeged & didn't realize that PA had lower taxes & DE's cigarette taxes were slightly higher than NC's. He also apparently didn't have a clue how easy it is for most South Jersey residents to get to those states. Of course, the icing on the cake was that he apparently was clueless that DE has no sales tax at all, so when South Jersey residents went to DE for cigarettes, they could also grab taxable items for themselves, family & friends & make the trip more profitable.
only 20% of NJ residents smoke anyways. there's also not tons of people flocking to deleware spending money in tolls and gas to save $15 in sales tax on a TV either. but...our sales tax shouldn't be 7%. it should go back down to 6%. and whatever we may lose to DE, we easily gain in new yorkers coming to NJ to shop. just check out ikea in elizabeth.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Fairness dictates that everyone share equally in all common costs. Equal=Fair. Total cost divided by number of people equals individual obligation.

All taxes should be fair and equal. Rich people should pay the same as poor people. No citizen should be taxed more, simply because he has more to tax. That's unfair. Earning money and being successful should not be a crime punishable by unequal taxation. That is called discrimination.

Society is forever trying to eliminate discrimination. Singling out those who make money, becuase they dared to make it, is a form of unfair discrimination that needs to be corrected.

And the only way it can be corrected is to make it fair, by making it equal.
Progressive tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-27-2011, 10:14 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
Fairness dictates that everyone share equally in all common costs. Equal=Fair. Total cost divided by number of people equals individual obligation.

All taxes should be fair and equal. Rich people should pay the same as poor people. No citizen should be taxed more, simply because he has more to tax. That's unfair. Earning money and being successful should not be a crime punishable by unequal taxation. That is called discrimination.

Society is forever trying to eliminate discrimination. Singling out those who make money, becuase they dared to make it, is a form of unfair discrimination that needs to be corrected.

And the only way it can be corrected is to make it fair, by making it equal.
Have you ever done the math based on this concept?!? I don't think it will work.

Again, I think the fairest would be a tax based on assets ... on worth, rather than income, with no loopholes such as putting it offshore, capital gains, etc. allowed.

Even so, those who believe they should NOT pay more tax on their higher incomes might be comforted in knowing that, tax rates aside, after all the loopholes in our current system, they actually DO pay significantly less than those who are not so "entitled".

Quote:
People who have looked at this document in the past often asked whether progressive taxation reduces some of the income inequality that exists before taxes are paid. The answer: not by much, if we count all of the taxes that people pay, from sales taxes to property taxes to payroll taxes (in other words, not just income taxes). And the top 1% of income earners, who average over $1 million a year, actually pay a smaller percentage of their incomes to taxes than the 9% just below them. These findings are discussed in detail near the end of this document.
But I know you and your ilk will not be persuaded by such numbers, and will not take the time to even read the linked article, since you already know it is saying something you don't want to hear.

Good luck with the society YOU envision, where the poor get kicked and the rich make laws to make themselves ever richer. I hope once you kill off all the scum working class, you actually learn how to pick up a shovel to repair the road to your castle, and build that moat. There will be nobody left to do it for you.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:10 PM

308 posts, read 680,264 times
Reward the makers not the takers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Since we are in the mood for hating middle class families and the poor and unions by only requiring them for SHARED SACRIFICE a proposal for the rich for the same sacrifice. And this is only after 1 million dollars. Let's see if Christie wants to sign it and spread the SHARED sacrifice around.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Have you ever done the math based on this concept?!? I don't think it will work.

Again, I think the fairest would be a tax based on assets ... on worth, rather than income, with no loopholes such as putting it offshore, capital gains, etc. allowed.

Even so, those who believe they should NOT pay more tax on their higher incomes might be comforted in knowing that, tax rates aside, after all the loopholes in our current system, they actually DO pay significantly less than those who are not so "entitled".

But I know you and your ilk will not be persuaded by such numbers, and will not take the time to even read the linked article, since you already know it is saying something you don't want to hear.

Good luck with the society YOU envision, where the poor get kicked and the rich make laws to make themselves ever richer. I hope once you kill off all the scum working class, you actually learn how to pick up a shovel to repair the road to your castle, and build that moat. There will be nobody left to do it for you.
Certain concepts are inherently unfair. There is nothing that I ever have to read to know that. There is nothing anyone can ever write to change that. Progressive taxation is inherently unfair, by definition, by design. It is also anti-American, anti-progress, anti-achievement, anti-quality, anti-good, and anti-moral.

The idea is someone earns more, so it is OK for society to take more. That can never be equal, just, fair, moral or right.

All should share equally in all common obligations. Equal. Fair.

Progressive taxation is discrimination, and we all know that is wrong.

All citizens have the right to EQUAL PROTECTION under the law, and that includes the tax law.

You should remove yourself from the collectivistic hyperbole, examine the morality, and you will come to the inevitable same conclusion. That a fair tax is an equal tax that takes from everyone equally without discrimination.

Progressive taxation EQUALS unfair discrimination.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Certain concepts are inherently unfair. There is nothing that I ever have to read to know that. There is nothing anyone can ever write to change that. Progressive taxation is inherently unfair, by definition, by design. It is also anti-American, anti-progress, anti-achievement, anti-quality, anti-good, and anti-moral.

The idea is someone earns more, so it is OK for society to take more. That can never be equal, just, fair, moral or right.

All citizens have the right to EQUAL PROTECTION under the law, and that includes the tax law.

You should remove yourself from the collectivistic hyperbole, examine the morality, and you will come to the inevitable same conclusion. That a fair tax is an equal tax that takes from everyone equally without discrimination.

So your view of "fair" is that everyone pay $10 each rather than everyone pay 10%? Or just that we have a flat tax rate?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:18 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
right....obama graduated from where? and has a what kind of degree? and palin dropped out of where? cmon man. knock obama because you hate his policies, but call him unintelligent just proves you're a partisan hack. and i'm an intelligent person and i can judge her intelligence. doesn't matter if i'm liberal or conservative...i know people in both camps who think she is nothing but a reality star.

no on cares about unapologetic conservatives. she doesn't fire up normal americans, she fires up stupid, gullible americans that think that the government is trying to tell them what to eat because michelle obama doesn't want public schools to serve french fries in school, or pizza for breakfast.

honestly. get a clue. if you seriously believe any of the above, I really have no reason to respond to your posts anymore. take care.
ok, if you want to go that route then im sure you dont question the intelligence of george w. bush. he has a ba from yale and mba from harvard. you gonna tell me you never questioned his intelligence?

obama has a very intelligent teleprompter and i know he wont disclose his grades or SAT scores.

to be honest, im not sure how to accurately judge their intelligence levels and i generally dont care to. but i can say with absolute certainly that palin's intelligence isnt why liberals hate her. i also think its an obnoxious liberal elitist attitude where you see them attacking palin supporters and glenn beck listeners, etc. its not true that either are any less intelligent or informed as anyone else. stick to issues and not towards unfounded attacks on groups of people.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:26 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:

Marc, please don't talk about morals. I don't see anything moral in your argument.

If you had read (and understood) the post to which you offered this reply (and the linked article), you will see it included provisions (fantasies) where we change the tax structure from Income-based, to wealth-based. This Wealth-based structure would tax people at the SAME (fair) rate, based upon how much wealth they own.

If you take an imaginary Adam & Eve, they each had 50% of the Earth at their disposal. There were MORE THAN ENOUGH resources for each of them, quite obviously. But as the world approaches 7 Billion individuals, IMO, it is immoral for one percent of those people to hog (and hoard) 40% of the resources. But this is where we're at.

So, under MY fantasy, if you want to reduce your tax exposure, you will need to stop hoarding, and put the resources (i.e.: money) back into circulation.

Under YOUR fantasy, there will be nothing wrong or immoral when that last person gloms EVERTHING, and everyone else suffers.

Your fantasy also has ME agreeing with this?!?!

I don't think so, sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey