Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,482 times

Advertisements

I don't know about NJ but my husband taught in CT and although he paid into SS with outside jobs, he did NOT pay into SS as a teacher. He is now retired and receives one third of the amount he would if he was not a teacher. It amounts to 190.00 a month..so, yes he gets a pension but he paid a goodly amount into that pension. When we were young and had children at home we would have qualified for food stamps. So much for overpaid teachers, also we did not receive medical benefits when he retired and we paid 1400.00 a month for insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,065,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Do you think that every one of your points did not or does not now effect Baby Boomers?

As the Emissary & I already posted, it was our parents generation that removed social security payments from being dedicated to social security & put them in the general accounting fund. What did you think that Al Gore was talking about a lock box for?

I'll tell ya what. . .When I started to work, want ads were still segregated by gender. I went into a field that had been & still was considered a "male job". Do ya think that the boys greated me with big smiles & flowers?

I will never be able to retire, unless I win a lottery. I didn't feel sorry for myself when I used to apply for jobs that I was qualified for & have the HR person tell me that I couldn't have the job because I was a female. That was perfectly legal then. I don't feel sorry for myself now.

Here's a concept. Make the best of it. You'll have a much happier life.
No, actually, the generations coming after the baby boomers will be in far worse shape, due to the increasing number of retirees and the decreasing number of workers.

Believe me, I'm making the best of my life, don't worry about that.

But it would be a better life if I didn't have to fund all of these ridiculous pension and healthcare obligations for public workers as well as myself.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:18 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
its a shame government wasnt required to fund pensions all along. probably would have prevented a lot of these promises from being made in the first place. as it stands, the promises were made and hopefully most of them will go unfulfilled.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
the doom and gloom in the media...sorry, i just don't buy it. i also don't buy how "lazy" gen-x is....
just let me know when we should start getting nervous.

News Headlines (http://www.cnbc.com/id/42209447 - broken link)

"US Approaching Insolvency, Fix To Be 'Painful': Fisher"

Old 03-22-2011, 05:44 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,415,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its a shame government wasnt required to fund pensions all along. probably would have prevented a lot of these promises from being made in the first place. as it stands, the promises were made and hopefully most of them will go unfulfilled.
Award winner for race to the bottom goes to??? Good one Mr Capitano but the fact remains if a state defaults they are obligated to pay and the feds make sure of that. While it may be a lower maximum pay out most pensioners wont be hurt because they wouldnt have received more then the "insured" payout. Sorry to make things tough on you and you race to the .....

Old 03-22-2011, 05:46 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,415,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
just let me know when we should start getting nervous.

News Headlines (http://www.cnbc.com/id/42209447 - broken link)

"US Approaching Insolvency, Fix To Be 'Painful': Fisher"
Wow Reagan really hurt us big time. He was Mr you can never borrow enough.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
but the fact remains if a state defaults they are obligated to pay and the feds make sure of that.
how exactly do they do that?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Wow Reagan really hurt us big time. He was Mr you can never borrow enough.
I've said this for years. Forget about the borrowing. He deregulated the banks. As I said to my mother at that time, "Weren't those regulations put into effect to prevent another Depression?"

Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've said this for years. Forget about the borrowing. He deregulated the banks. As I said to my mother at that time, "Weren't those regulations put into effect to prevent another Depression?"
Kind of like how Clinton decided we should all be able buy houses with no money down?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,632,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Kind of like how Clinton decided we should all be able buy houses with no money down?
Goat, this one goes both ways. Clinton letting HUD give out the money like ice cream and the dummies that signed up for the houses. 2 wrongs by both sides have almost put us into the abyss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey