Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with this as long as the yellow lights are on for a sufficient amount of time before turning to red. I don't remember the time length but its a rule they need to be yellow for a certain amount of seconds before turning red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If someone is saying the camera is saying they did something they didn't then that is a good argument. If someone is just upset about getting caught doing something I have little sympathy.
Exactly, that's always the case. You can argue when you get caught by a cop too.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:08 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
i want to be able to run lights if i am in the mood!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I have no problem with this as long as the yellow lights are on for a sufficient amount of time before turning to red. I don't remember the time length but its a rule they need to be yellow for a certain amount of seconds before turning red.
Most of the lights in NJ have really long yellows compared to other states I've found.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
N.J. wants to double the number of towns with red-light cameras by 2013 | NJ.com

Nothing to improve public safety, just a money grab. If you live in one of the areas considering it, lobby against the cameras
i see no reason to be against this unless you enjoy running red lights and causing accidents? if you don't go through a light after it changes, this should be of no concern to you. i have a friend who slowed down to stop at a light and the lady behind him floored it to make it. needless to say, she slammed him into the intersection. maybe it's revenue, but there is at least some element of safety in it.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
The cameras are set up in a way that they catch those who turn slightly late on yellow, and are in the process of turning for under 1 second while the light is red.

Newark red light cameras reduce traffic violations, bring in $3M in revenue | NJ.com

10 cameras in Newark viewed 93,000 violations and made 3 million bucks in fines in a year.

I do not believe that 30 people blatantly run a single traffic light every day.
i don't know if the law is different in NJ, but in PA driver's ed classes we were taught that entering the intersection after the light turned yellow is a violation of the law. so the way you describe the cameras to be set up is correct, per PA law. my mother got a ticket at an intersection because she entered the intersection after the light turned yellow. this was before red light cameras existed. classic old fashioned police work.

if you're already in the intersection when the light turns, you're ok. that's the way i learned. yellow light means slow down and stop, if safe. it'd be hard to argue that it was unsafe for you to stop, unless you were speeding, or the lights were timed improperly.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I hope they are using these cameras for safety purposes only and not as a scam to raise extra money.

If they are using this to raise extra money, that's a garbage way to do it. They should just be upfront and increase the tax on our understaxed gasoline prices.
very good point.

it's a great debate on whether these cameras increase safety. with both sides having an agenda to prove their case. i don't know that i've ever read an independent study.

logically though, enforcement of laws we have for safety should improve safety.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
im sure they are using it to raise money. but its hard to argue with enforcement of laws that everyone really should follow. i wouldnt be happy if this was for speeding, but running lights is always going to be very dangerous. so i cant complain about this.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but pesonally I think it makes me a safer driver. I know which lights have cameras. At those lights I make sure I don't cut it close and I always come to a complete stop if making a right.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im sure they are using it to raise money. but its hard to argue with enforcement of laws that everyone really should follow. i wouldnt be happy if this was for speeding, but running lights is always going to be very dangerous. so i cant complain about this.
Speeding is very dangerous too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey