Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:17 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times

Advertisements

Roommate charged with hate crime in NJ webcam case - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_rutgers_suicide - broken link)

I think this is wrong. It was a college prank that spiraled out of control. You can't blame this guy because his roommate killed himself and the media blew the story up. His life is more or less ruined if he goes to jail for 5-10 years on a felony hate crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
What he did was in bad taste and an invasion of privacy, but hate crime is a rather awful stretch.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:31 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
It's absurd. Sure what he did was wrong but come on!!! Hate crime is ludicrous.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:43 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
There isn't a good way to deal with this. It's sort of similar to manslaughter: the intent while bad wasn't nearly as awful as the consequences. So what do you do? Punish harshly for what happens, or lightly for what was intended to happen? You have to find a middle ground, and that's not always so easy. Almost any conceivable/likely sentence would be both too severe and too lax at the same time.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Roommate charged with hate crime in NJ webcam case - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_rutgers_suicide - broken link)

I think this is wrong. It was a college prank that spiraled out of control. You can't blame this guy because his roommate killed himself and the media blew the story up. His life is more or less ruined if he goes to jail for 5-10 years on a felony hate crime.
The kid that killed himself felt his life was ruined, too. You can't invade someone's privacy like that and get away with it, because you call it a prank. I don't think I would call it a hate crime, but the guy should be jailed. Hopefully, the next juvenile will think twice before taping someone else's private life with the intention of showing the world on the internet.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
There isn't a good way to deal with this. It's sort of similar to manslaughter: the intent while bad wasn't nearly as awful as the consequences. So what do you do? Punish harshly for what happens, or lightly for what was intended to happen? You have to find a middle ground, and that's not always so easy. Almost any conceivable/likely sentence would be both too severe and too lax at the same time.

Who knows whether the suicide can be attributable to this. The incident was most likely the cataylyst that sent him over the top, but you gotta think he was a very troubled man regardless of this incident. Who knows whether it would have happened regardless?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
The kid that killed himself felt his life was ruined, too. You can't invade someone's privacy like that and get away with it, because you call it a prank. I don't think I would call it a hate crime, but the guy should be jailed. Hopefully, the next juvenile will think twice before taping someone else's private life with the intention of showing the world on the internet.

The roommate should be held accountable for an irrational fear of the guy who committed suicide?

I would not be opposed to 90 or 180 days in jail and then probation. But more then that is just too much. Regular "peeping toms" get a slap on the wrist. How is this any different?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
The roommate should be held accountable for an irrational fear of the guy who committed suicide?

I would not be opposed to 90 or 180 days in jail and then probation. But more then that is just too much. Regular "peeping toms" get a slap on the wrist. How is this any different?
What is a "regular" peeping tom?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Are you saying you think the guy had an irrational fear of the guy that committed suicide because the [dead] kid was gay? If yes, then isn't spying, taping, and exposing the other kid's sexual preference considered a hate crime? But, I don't get the connection between fear of a gay guy and taping his sexual preference. I don't think it had anything to do with fear of another person.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:27 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
If invasion of privacy warrants some jail time then so be it, but the justice system fails once again if this guy is charged with a hate crime. Other kids used to regulary egg my house, gang up and beat me up, and throw stones at me while calling me slurs when I was kid because of my background and I didn't go jump off a bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey