Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,032 times

Advertisements

I am new to the Jersey shore - actually, I have never been there even though I have lived here for a number of years already! So I am determined to go this summer, but I am also trying to avoid major crowds. I know that might be impossible but I was hoping some more experienced Shore travelers could advise me. Ideally, we would like to go on a Friday morning and come back on Friday afternoon. Possibly heading to Long Branch? Is this time likely to be a big mess?? Any advise??

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,778,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njtherapist View Post
I am new to the Jersey shore - actually, I have never been there even though I have lived here for a number of years already! So I am determined to go this summer, but I am also trying to avoid major crowds. I know that might be impossible but I was hoping some more experienced Shore travelers could advise me. Ideally, we would like to go on a Friday morning and come back on Friday afternoon. Possibly heading to Long Branch? Is this time likely to be a big mess?? Any advise??

Thanks so much!
You should be fine, provided you head down before noon, it seems the Friday traffic starts earlier every year.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 PM

360 posts, read 1,020,312 times
Generally, Friday mornings are okay - as long as it isn't a holiday weekend. (Holiday weekends all bets are off.)

Like the previous poster said, shore traffic does seem to start earlier every year. What you want to avoid at all costs is heading south on a Friday night (sometimes a Saturday morning too - but Friday tends to be far worse in my experience.) Also, you don't want to EVER try to come back on a Sunday afternoon.

If you're going to daytrip it though, I'd really suggest you go during the week - far less crowded and less annoying.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:28 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,763,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njtherapist View Post

Thanks so much!
What kind of beach experience are you looking for? Quiet beach with no boardwalk or restaurants? Games, rides, etc? Something in the middle?

Long branch is an ok beach but I can't stand Pier Village (basically an overpriced mall on the beach) so if I were going to the same area I would actually go to Seven Presidents Beach at the northern end of LB.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:38 AM

88,690 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What kind of beach experience are you looking for? Quiet beach with no boardwalk or restaurants? Games, rides, etc? Something in the middle?

Long branch is an ok beach but I can't stand Pier Village (basically an overpriced mall on the beach) so if I were going to the same area I would actually go to Seven Presidents Beach at the northern end of LB.
I go to Long Branch, but I go to the beach at West End (inexplicably named, as there is nothing west about it and it's the southern end of Long Branch.) If you're looking for entertainment and excitement, it's not the beach for you. It's very quiet, mostly locals, and nothing much there but apartments and condos. There is a concession stand with food and soda, etc., and a couple of blocks in from the beach there is a pizza place and few other restaurants.

I was there Saturday. Could look up the beach toward the crowds near Pier Village.

7 Presidents is also nice, especially if you have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: