Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Gov. Chris Christie to not OK gay marriage bill in NJ?
Yes, Marriage is between "Husband and Wife" 20 27.03%
No, Christie is totally wrong ! 52 70.27%
Not sure, but we should vote like NY did 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 AM

861 posts, read 2,718,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
The only other group that I can think of is divorced men and women. What other groups are there?
Not all churches will allow a Catholic to marry a non~Catholic who won't convert / be baptized.
So, to answer your question, 2 non~Catholics probably would not want to marry in a church.... but 1 Catholic + 1 non~Catholic might, and are often denied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 07:51 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Not all churches will allow a Catholic to marry a non~Catholic who won't convert / be baptized.
So, to answer your question, 2 non~Catholics probably would not want to marry in a church.... but 1 Catholic + 1 non~Catholic might, and are often denied.
The only time the Catholic church denies marrying a Catholic to a non-Catholic in the church is if the non-Catholic is also not a Christian or has never been baptized.

I was baptized raised and confirmed Lutheran. My wife was raised Catholic. She wanted to get married in the Catholic church and I felt her beliefs/convictions were stronger than mine and I agreed. I produced a copy of my baptismal record, we attended pre-marriage counseling with the priest (suprisingly we got a lot out of it) and went to pre-cannae classes (total waste of time). The only caveat was that we agreed to raise our children in the Catholic church. I was never asked to convert and join the church. My only restriction is that I cannot take communion as there is a difference in belief between Catholics and Protestants over what it is.

Regardless, churches are completely different entities from the state. A church is allowed to essentially discriminate in anyway it wants and is only beholden to public access laws. Meaning they have to provide handicap facilities, fire exits, etc. and anyone can enter the public areas. After that they can choose to discriminate against you for any reason they want in terms of their traditions and beliefs.

FWIW, I think we will sooner see the establishment of full and equal marriage rights under Federal law (most likely at first as "civil unions") followed by the establishment of a national gay pride holiday and the first gay President LONG before you will see most churches change their stance on the issue.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:27 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Bill barring 'mom,' 'dad' from texts passes

thats an old article but its important to understand that its the crazies that push this type of stuff in this country. then they try to sneak things through the legislative process and trick the masses into believing all they want is equality. the crazies dont want equality in marriage, they want to destroy the institution of marriage. just like these crazies who want to remove the notion of gender from our society. i started seeing these crazies when i took silly classes in college just to fill a requirement. i took some kind of anthropology class that focused on gender, the goal of these people is basically to eliminate our gender identities. you guys have no idea how crazy these people are and they are the ones that are involved in these things.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:45 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
I'm old school and an old fart. I'm not in favor of it either. Christie has my back on this one.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I didn't actually realize NJ was way ahead of most of the county on this until I read this article on CNN.

Rhode Island legislature passes civil union bill - CNN.com

Old 06-30-2011, 12:54 PM

512 posts, read 1,755,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I didn't actually realize NJ was way ahead of most of the county on this until I read this article on CNN.

Rhode Island legislature passes civil union bill - CNN.com
Or way behind, depending on how you look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey