Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 04:15 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
in the good ol days, a CEO was often a person who had the ideas for the company, came up through the ranks even. Now, it's a lot of people with business school theory, and not actual experience. So I think some CEOs are very talented, while others are very intelligent in theory of business, but ultimately aren't really innovating at all. Not speaking at all about the verizon issues, just speaking in general.

Companies are successful because of the employees AND the leadership. It involves everyone. Some of the very best leaders are also some of the biggest failures in history, because their goals were not necessarily the best for the situation, but their leadership got people behind bad goals. Not every CEO deserves every nickel they make either. Just as not every employee deserves every nickel they make.
Partially true, but I am tired of the popular trashing of CEO's by people with little talent whose lives and opinions are a stream of consciouness motivated by envy and contempt. In general, CEO's and the other high level people who run our corporations, are the best and brightest people the country has to offer. And they deserve BIG money and LOTS of respect because they are doing things that most of us will never be able to dream of doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 07:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Not every CEO deserves every nickel they make either. Just as not every employee deserves every nickel they make.
of course thats true. but you need to try to find a person to make ceo who you think will substantially increase shareholder wealth. so you are going to want to look hard for that person and pay them well. it doesnt always work out, but you arent going to put someone who installs cable in peoples houses at the help of a multi-billion dollar company.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:08 PM

1,009 posts, read 708,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Partially true, but I am tired of the popular trashing of CEO's by people with little talent whose lives and opinions are a stream of consciouness motivated by envy and contempt. In general, CEO's and the other high level people who run our corporations, are the best and brightest people the country has to offer. And they deserve BIG money and LOTS of respect because they are doing things that most of us will never be able to dream of doing.

All the talents and all the knowledge of the CEO's are useless if the employees are not there to produce the product. Employees in general are the ones that do the work.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopalcholic View Post
All the talents and all the knowledge of the CEO's are useless if the employees are not there to produce the product. Employees in general are the ones that do the work.
And you could say the opposite is true. So now we are left with supply and demand. How many people are available that can "do the work" as you put it vs. how many people have the skill set to be a CEO?

Old 08-13-2011, 06:38 AM

1,009 posts, read 708,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And you could say the opposite is true. So now we are left with supply and demand. How many people are available that can "do the work" as you put it vs. how many people have the skill set to be a CEO?
I am not arguing about CEO not worth their skills and pay, I totally agree they are worth it. I will give you an example of what I do mean.

ex- Henry Ford invented the car it is the hundreds of workers that put the car together that makes the product, Without the workers to assembly it Henry Fords idea would just be that an idea..

Old 08-13-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopalcholic View Post
ex- Henry Ford invented the car it is the hundreds of workers that put the car together that makes the product, Without the workers to assembly it Henry Fords idea would just be that an idea..
wow, worker x knows how to attach part A to Part B. he is a dime a dozen. Henry Ford is worth his weight in gold (so to speak).

and Henry Ford didnt invent the car.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:59 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Is that a dime for a dozen hours? Or a dime, annually, that a dozen of them can share?

Old 08-13-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Is that a dime for a dozen hours? Or a dime, annually, that a dozen of them can share?
if im a shareholder in the company, then ill choose a dime for a dozen of them for a year.

with no restroom breaks!

Old 08-13-2011, 12:07 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if im a shareholder in the company, then ill choose a dime for a dozen of them for a year.

with no restroom breaks!
And you are representative of the Tea Party ideology? OK. I wish you could get them to add this post to their campaign ads.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
And you are representative of the Tea Party ideology? OK. I wish you could get them to add this post to their campaign ads.
well, i think its important for people to understand that the tea party isnt a single organization with a single ideology. so while i know most americans think everything i say is super awesome, i cant claim to be representing the tea party ideology.

im going to try to be flexible though. im taking a hardline on the dime for a dozen salary, but im willing to negotiate on the restroom breaks. nothing more than 3 minutes though.

like i said before, verizon is a private company so i trust they will make the right decision in their negotiation. it is unfortunate the union uses illegal tactics and political corruption to get their way but ultimately verizon can only agree to a deal that will keep them profitable and competitive in the industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey