Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopalcholic View Post
First of all let me point something out I am not unhappy at all. I am tired of hearing people bad mouth hard workers whether they are union or not. Some people know nothing about the company and speculate and put all misinformation out there. I like eveyone else have the right to contribute and speak my mind. You do not know me at all so do not judge me.. I thought this was an intelligent forum where everyone can speak their mind. I guess not..
i back you up on this response. there is nothing wrong with you and your fellow coworkers approaching your collective boss as a group and negotiating a deal for that group. i have nothing against this concept at all. try and ignore some of the banter that exists on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
ok - i honestly don't understand this part. but given that there is currently no contract, what's stopping the employer from terminating everyone who doesn't show up to work, and hiring others to do the job? i hope that doesn't sound condescending, as it's an honest question...i really don't understand how that doesn't happen (i think it's a good thing it doesn't, as i'd like to see the contract get resolved).
Some companies do hire off the street. Those people are called scabs. Strikebreaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After 30 days the company can fire the employees.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 PM

1,009 posts, read 708,755 times
Quote:
you are right in the origins of unions. the problem is, many unions have become just as bad as the corporations they are up against. really, in some of these negotiations now, you really just have two crappy entities going at each other. in instances i've seen, the union representation doesn't even really appear to have the real interest of it's members in place. that's a limited view of it, as i'm just saying what i've seen through friends and family that are union. in some cases, the union and company negotiate like civil entities and come to an agreement. in some other cases...it seems like two 4 year old's fighting over a table full of candy, with both wanting every single piece of candy.

Your right but in this case with Verizon its like a person having a full jar of candy and only wanting to give one piece to the employees... Verizon is profitable and has been profitable and continues to do very well even though the economy is not doing well. They are the greedy ones because they continue to overpay their top executives and do not want to give a fair share to the employees.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against business owners and I feel for them today. They are the little people getting hurt. Why is it that everyone in our State hates the greed that is going on in Trenton when the fat cats are overpaid and compensated with mulitple pensions.. Everyone is against that but this is the same similarity with this giant monopoly of a company which is competing in the market place and doing very well and not funded by tax payers. It's a rich company trying to jump on the welfare line and complain its to much for them.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
ok - i honestly don't understand this part. but given that there is currently no contract, what's stopping the employer from terminating everyone who doesn't show up to work, and hiring others to do the job? i hope that doesn't sound condescending, as it's an honest question...i really don't understand how that doesn't happen (i think it's a good thing it doesn't, as i'd like to see the contract get resolved).

I will be more than happy to answer your question . We are employees of the company the contract just determines the wages and benefits, not the employement.

Nice to speak with someone who is informed and intelligent.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
I didnt even know about a strike until today when I went to sign up for Fios for my new house. My activation date is 12/30/11. So they are still willing to sell services, but you can't have them for 4 months. Oh and if a deposit is required, they wanted that now. -_-

Is your area wired for Fios? If so you are better off waiting until the real workers get back from the strike rather than have the scabs who don't know what they are doing install it and then have problems later.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:53 PM

21 posts, read 26,448 times
Quote:
This is why that wouldnt happen in the northeast Closed shop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-08-2011, 04:56 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,145 times
Quote:
Is your area wired for Fios? If so you are better off waiting until the real workers get back from the strike rather than have the scabs who don't know what they are doing install it and then have problems later.
Oh, I don't know. They just told me that if I submit an order, they can't give me an installation date until the strike is over I think? Not sure, but being as I just moved into my house, I would rather not have to wait until December. lol

Old 08-08-2011, 05:33 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
LOL why are you getting all upset. My reply was to your response that I must be some poor afraid ******* that has no spine and tail between my legs because i don't want to "fight" for better compensation and am ok with paying a portion of my medical benefits. I was just informing you that i am very happy with my career choice/path, and am ok paying a portion of my benefits.

Here again a novel idea, if you are unhappy with your job/career/position quit and find another that offers better compensation. Why do folks always want a free hand out. I worked very hard for everything i have, i went to school, spent a lot of money in debt. All that is paying off now.

Its all about marketability and the skills one has. You have to keep up with the times. Its a kill or be killed world out there. Technology is changing every hour. If you dont keep up, you will be shut out. Thats the honest truth. I dont wish harm or detriment on anyone.

Again, best of luck.
Actually I am very very happy in my career of choice and I have no college debt as I have great family. Sucks to be you. I will make sure I have a drink on you while in the Caribbean Wed. Thanks!! How many vaca days do you get? Bye bye

Old 08-08-2011, 06:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
They transfer the profits from one pocket to another it is all one company.
how exactly does this happen? did you read about this somewhere? can you link me to the detail? what is the profit of the landline division?

Old 08-08-2011, 06:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
i never said FIOS is part of wireless. I know it's part of wireline. you said that profits from the landline are going into investments for the wireless side of the business. that is not true. as wireless makes up a significant portion of the parent company's profits, it is doing most of the contribution to that investment. FIOS is the only product on the wireline side contributing to that profit as well, but it's not even close to wireless' portion.
he is a liar. but its ok because he is on the side of good, so he is allowed to make up stuff he thinks sounds right and say it as if its fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey