Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 PM

29 posts, read 82,270 times

Advertisements

I am seeking to relocate to New Jersey without a job or knowing anyone. I have approx. 13k set aside. Anyone else ever picked up and relocated and took a chance with the similar amount or less and made it work?

I need a change and have been wanting to come that way for years. The time is right, no attachments, I am still a temp in my job and in a huge rut. Tired of thinking about it, just want to do it. Nothing to lose. I want to just get out there and hit the ground running with looking for work. Will sign up with every temp agency in The area of Jersey I am seeking, Bergen County and find a roommate or short term room I can stay in.

Is this realistic? Anyone else taken a chance like this and if so any advice you can offer?

Sincerely,
Anxiously awaiting to get to East Coast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 01:27 PM

177 posts, read 448,176 times
I would stay away from NJ.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:43 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,673,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmgary View Post
I am seeking to relocate to New Jersey without a job or knowing anyone. I have approx. 13k set aside. Anyone else ever picked up and relocated and took a chance with the similar amount or less and made it work?

I need a change and have been wanting to come that way for years. The time is right, no attachments, I am still a temp in my job and in a huge rut. Tired of thinking about it, just want to do it. Nothing to lose. I want to just get out there and hit the ground running with looking for work. Will sign up with every temp agency in The area of Jersey I am seeking, Bergen County and find a roommate or short term room I can stay in.

Is this realistic? Anyone else taken a chance like this and if so any advice you can offer?

Sincerely,
Anxiously awaiting to get to East Coast
I moved here from San Diego exactly 10 years ago(spent 5 years in PB after college).When I left I had a 27" Tube TV, an Xbox, 2 suitcases full of clothes,about 10K in the bank and $7K in credit card debt. I moved to Manhattan(which is a little different) and never looked back. Now I have a wife, 2 kids, a house, a successful media agency in NYC, a comfortable salary and plenty left over for vacations and endless house renovations. Basically living the American Dream!

All I can say about my experience is that EVERYTHING you can imagine is available to you but NOTHING is given to you. Competition is killer and the expression only the strong survive was minted here. If you are ready to work harder than you've ever worked before, give it a go but keep in mind for every 1 who has a story like mine there are 100 who crashed and burned Good luck!

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 08-22-2011 at 01:56 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 02:11 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,988,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I moved here from San Diego exactly 10 years ago(spent 5 years in PB after college).When I left I had a 27" Tube TV, an Xbox, 2 suitcases full of clothes,about 10K in the bank and $7K in credit card debt. I moved to Manhattan(which is a little different) and never looked back. Now I have a wife, 2 kids, a house, a successful media agency in NYC, a comfortable salary and plenty left over for vacations and endless house renovations. Basically living the American Dream!

All I can say about my experience is that EVERYTHING you can imagine is available to you but NOTHING is given to you. Competition is killer and the expression only the strong survive was minted here. If you are ready to work harder than you've ever worked before, give it a go but keep in mind for every 1 who has a story like mine there are 100 who crashed and burned Good luck!
Great advice, and an awesome story tdstyles!

I will say that things were a bit brighter 10 years ago (even with the immediate post-9/11 recession).

I am not sure how things will work for finding a rental without a current job... credit better be in good shape in other respects.

Good luck!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:17 PM

29 posts, read 82,270 times
WOW tdstyles, that is an amazing story! Inspirational for sure.

The only thing different is I am not completely sold yet on knowing what I aspire to be. That is another thing I am seeking, a career I am passionate about. In the interim my experience is Human Resources and Administrative Professional. I am more about the experience of living in a different kind of environment at this particular moment, than chasing an American Dream of a successful career right now until I can figure out what that is.

I need a job to support myself but I am not looking to make tons of money at this juncture. I want to see if I am inspired here and challenge myself in life as I have never left my comfort zone, or this area. I have been in San Diego my whole life and crave more diversity, seasons and just a new experience.

I'd like to start there, if other things fall into place like figuring out what I am really interested in and finding a husband, great. That is not the main drive though. I realize I do have to survive. This is why I am starting in New Jersey, can't afford New York but its a bus ride away which excites me. I do love animals and want to see the ASPCA headquarters. I am thinking eventually this might be the direction I can see myself heading, but first I want to see if this is a place I can survive in.

Any need for an HR or Administrative help at your Media Agency :.) If not are you aware of anyone in need? I do understand competition being fierce and there is no time like the present to network. I truly appreciate your responses and feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey