Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 12:37 PM

262 posts, read 799,389 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Looking for suggestions of places to bring my wife, 3 year old and almost 2 year old this weekend.

My wife is 38 weeks pregnant, so it has to be pretty low key -- was hoping for a kid-friendly restaurant near the beach -- maybe have the kids run around and play in the sand afterwards.

Any suggestions within an hour of Exit 9 on NJ Turnpike? Can be Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 12:54 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,990,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus282 View Post
Hi all,

Looking for suggestions of places to bring my wife, 3 year old and almost 2 year old this weekend.

My wife is 38 weeks pregnant, so it has to be pretty low key -- was hoping for a kid-friendly restaurant near the beach -- maybe have the kids run around and play in the sand afterwards.

Any suggestions within an hour of Exit 9 on NJ Turnpike? Can be Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks!
Point Pleasant would probably be a good spot. Shouldn't be crowded, you can walk the boardwalk (not much will be open), let the kids run around on the beach, etc... There's a small aquarium that is great for kids and for lunch/dinner you can go to Martell's restaurant which is great for kids (I think they're open all year? )

Old 05-02-2016, 12:59 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,464,004 times
not sure if they have anything for the day and if so are prob booked already--but Woody's or Tommys Tap and Tavern in Sea Bright, beach is literally across the street 300 yards away.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:41 PM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
I like this place in Long Branch. I've been to lunch here, as well as a larger dinner for a Confirmation. Seems family-oriented. They have a kid's menu, too, and it's right near the beach.

Charley's Ocean Grill, Seafood, Steaks, Prime Rib, Long Branch, NJ, New Jersey, Dining, Jersey Shore, Bar, Restaurant

Old 05-02-2016, 04:09 PM

19,154 posts, read 25,385,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Point Pleasant would probably be a good spot. Shouldn't be crowded, you can walk the boardwalk (not much will be open), let the kids run around on the beach, etc... There's a small aquarium that is great for kids and for lunch/dinner you can go to Martell's restaurant which is great for kids (I think they're open all year? )
I think that this is a good recommendation.
If the OP opts to go to Point Pleasant, just be sure to avoid Jack Baker's Wharfside restaurant in Point Pleasant Beach. While it has a really nice location and a nice view of the water, the median age of the customers is something on the order of mid-70s, and the food is a totally tasteless mélange of overcooked dishes from the 1950s.

This is not a place for younger people, people with small children, or people who expect their food to have any perceptible flavor.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:25 AM

262 posts, read 799,389 times
Thank you all! Will avoid Wharfside. Any other suggestions? Is Martell's our best bet?

Old 05-03-2016, 11:04 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,125,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
If you're planning to go on a Sunday you should know that Mother's Day is free for Moms. Admission to aquarium, mini golf. Free rides all day. I don't know how crowded it gets, but I would not expect a quiet day. Plenty to do for the kids though! If I were 38 weeks pregnant I would love for you to do this - without me. Feet up and napping would be my ideal. Make sure your wife is getting the day she really wants.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:11 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,125,356 times
I think Sea Bright or Long Branch are great suggestions. The beach is right across from Tommy's (I've heard great things about their food) and there is a playground for the kids right on the beach. And seats nearby. Is Asbury Park too far? Nice little boardwalk and also a playground in the sand. I've eaten at the McCloone's there and it was good.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I think Sea Bright or Long Branch are great suggestions. The beach is right across from Tommy's (I've heard great things about their food) and there is a playground for the kids right on the beach. And seats nearby. Is Asbury Park too far? Nice little boardwalk and also a playground in the sand. I've eaten at the McCloone's there and it was good.
I was actually going to suggest Asbury. It's not further than Pt. Pleasant, neither are Long Branch or Sea Bright actually. Asbury is 102 PPB is 98. Long Branch 105. Not sure what exit SB is but it's definitely further north than PPB.

I was in Sea Bright recently. Still undergoing lots of construction and the beach wasn't too attractive because of it but we went to a great restaurant called Tommy's Tavern and Tap (if this is the Tommy's you're also speaking of). Asbury also has great restaurants right along the beach/boardwalk. I like Long Branch but it can get insanely crowded at Pier Village. If it's a nice day Sunday, I imagine all the beach towns will have decent crowds, but some are for sure worse than others. I consider PPB to be among the worst for crowds in general.

Despite having family living there all year round, I'm not a fan of Point Pleasant Beach. Lots are recommending it, I guess because of the kids, but I personally wouldn't go there. I'd pick Asbury instead.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:35 PM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I was actually going to suggest Asbury. It's not further than Pt. Pleasant, neither are Long Branch or Sea Bright actually. Asbury is 102 PPB is 98. Long Branch 105. Not sure what exit SB is but it's definitely further north than PPB.

I was in Sea Bright recently. Still undergoing lots of construction and the beach wasn't too attractive because of it but we went to a great restaurant called Tommy's Tavern and Tap (if this is the Tommy's you're also speaking of). Asbury also has great restaurants right along the beach/boardwalk. I like Long Branch but it can get insanely crowded at Pier Village. If it's a nice day Sunday, I imagine all the beach towns will have decent crowds, but some are for sure worse than others. I consider PPB to be among the worst for crowds in general.

Despite having family living there all year round, I'm not a fan of Point Pleasant Beach. Lots are recommending it, I guess because of the kids, but I personally wouldn't go there. I'd pick Asbury instead.
That's why I suggested Charley's in Long Branch--it's NOT at Pier Village, it's by itself and has its own parking lot, and it's half a block to the beach. Pier Village gets insane.

Sea Bright is north of Monmouth Beach, which is north of Long Branch. All easy to get to from 105--just take 36 to Ocean Boulevard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey