Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 02:08 PM

7 posts, read 35,714 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating to the NYC area from Northern VA. I am looking for a good family community that is a relatively good commute to NYC. Westfield, NJ seems great. Is the community friendly? Are there lots of children (we have a 2 year old)? Are most residents commuters into NYC? How is the commute into NYC? Is it drivable if you leave relatively early (i.e., before 7AM)? I really appreciate everyone's assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 02:22 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,199 times
Westfield is great, it's a very desirable town that hits on all of your points (well I can't speak to the friendliness, the people I know that live there are nice but I don't know the community as a whole). I think what it boils down to when moving there is your budget. How much are you looking to spend?

If you search this forum for threads on Westfield you will find tons of information already out there.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:13 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,524 times
Are you looking to purchase a home or to rent?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:32 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,545 times
Westfield is great but I don't think that it has a direct train to Penn Station. You may have to change trains. I feel like maybe there are plans to make it direct?

Old 09-30-2011, 12:29 PM

391 posts, read 1,476,454 times
Many Westfield residents do commute to the city, but there are quite a few of us who don't. it's a very family friendly town, tons of kids, highly regarded schools.

no direct train from Westfield, can switch in Newark to either Path or another NJ transit train. i wouldn't count on a direct train any time soon.
bus is another option. it really just depends on where in WF you live, and what part of the city you are going to

yes, you could drive to NYC, but why would you want to?

Old 09-30-2011, 03:34 PM

239 posts, read 1,141,253 times
I live in Westfield, and I can say that it is a very friendly town, a lot of community events, with tons to do for preschoolers. I never lack for things to do with my two children. The schools are great, the people welcoming, and as you know NYC is a relatively easy commute. Many do work in NY--I think I read on here that the Westfield station is one of the busiest on the NJ Transit line. The downtown is charming, there are plenty restaurants, stores, coffee shops, parks, the beach is nearby, there really is no reason not to like Westfield except for high property costs and high property taxes. Westfield is idyllic suburban life at its best. Similar towns are nearby Cranford, Scotch Plains, and Fanwood. All of these have some type of downtown, train to New York nearby, good schools, and a sense of community. I agree with the previous poster--do a search on Westfield and you'll find tons in the archives--search my name, since I asked all of these questions 4+ years ago before we moved here and everyone gave me lots of great information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey