Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,447 times

Advertisements

Hi I am starting a kids salon where we will be doing lots of birthday parties. I am trying to find a good place in new jersey to start it but its a very confusing state with so many highways and lots of traffic. I want to be in a place where its convenient for people to come as far as an hour drive to visit for birthdays but also a good place where i will have regular clients for hair cuts. thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 01:22 PM

anyone please?

Old 09-27-2011, 01:27 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
I would suggest that the best place to locate your salon would be where your paid market research firm tells you. Listening to a bunch of unqualified strangers on a internet forum is not going to get you anywhere.

If you really need a free suggestion try Camden.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Salons doing kids birthday parties... I hadn't heard of that.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:07 PM

572 posts, read 2,021,228 times
Me either...and honestly I do not reall understand the concept. I get having a kids hair salon but they are a dime a dozen around NJ so I am not sure if that is the business I would want to get into.

You are better off doing a kids spa type thing where they can get manis, pedis, make-up and mini children appropriate facials. I am not sure how well a hair birthday party for kids will do since most parents and teenage girls are very particular about where and who they allow to cut their hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Salons doing kids birthday parties... I hadn't heard of that.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:48 PM

Hi the business model I have is rather complex and novel I didnt want to explain it in depth until I have my location and am opening but yes we will be offering spa services. I was thinking somewhere in bergen county near ridgewood? I am looking for an area that is similar to the norwalk.westport border demographic. I could pay someone to do this for me but I dont have the money to do that. frankly I rather hear what the natives think first and then do my own research.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:29 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Follow the money. For your idea, you'd want upscale towns with high concentration of wealth and similar towns nearby. Ridgewood might make sense. Other possibilities include Westfield, Basking Ridge, etc.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 PM

86 posts, read 289,631 times
Well Ridgewood already has a kid salon that does fabulous parties. I also know of one in Englewood. Perhaps the Paramus area near the Garden State Plaza Mall? It's a busy area with lots of businesses and it's a central location for alot of Bergen County towns.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:55 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,732 times
I would not go with Ridgewood as well. It's an expensive town and rents may be cost prohibitive.

I'm a mom and one thing I would love to see is a spa where I can get my hair or some other treatment done where there's a play a room or babysitting service. Or both!

There are gyms that offer babysitting service now but I don't know of any salon that does this.

If you like, I can hook you up with someone who can better help you. Look for an FM.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
I'll throw in my 2 cents...yes you want to be near wealthy towns, but really that is anywhere in Northern NJ. The most important thing, as anyone who has owned a business geared toward families with children has learned, access to PARKING is the number 1 priority. For instance, Downtown Ridgewood is your demographic, however, if you opened this type of business there I predict you would be out of business in less than 3 months. Why? no parking(or PITA parking). I would try to find an upscale strip mall setting either on 17 or close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey