Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,011 times

Advertisements

I have recently become aware that the crawlspace under my apartment was probably flooded, and has likely been that way for some time. I have no access to the crawlspace so I have no idea what the actual situation is. I have had no heat all month and finally got someone in the leasing office to talk to me. They said that a pipe burst over a week ago, and asked, "Haven't you seen the water?" I hadn't realized the water that was flooding the area behind my apartment was coming from a burst pipe. The heat came on briefly then turned off and my apartment smelled like a sewer. I finally realized that the burst pipe was under my apartment.

Today they are pumping the water out (3 days after I notified them). The same day I notified them about the smell, I tried to take action to prevent moisture damage to my personal property only to realize it was too late. Every organic fiber in my closets was covered in fuzzy mold. Everything wood, including my musical instruments, were warped beyond repair. Even the floor. I have been sick with severe allergies for weeks, which makes sense now. Obviously this moisture has been around long enough to grow mold, but recent enough that I did not notice it. I had the local health inspector out today but since he found no mold on the walls, he said it was probably air borne and he could not do anything except talk to the landlord.

The crawlspace is my landlord's responsibility to inspect and maintain. A few weeks of moisture due to leaky pipes or even outside water flooding without pumping or drying the space is neglectful. The least they could have done was notify me of the leak/flooding. Will their insurance cover my property damage, if not, will they be liable to reimburse me?

No, I do not have flood insurance, but my apartment did not flood and my property would have been fine if the water was cleaned up promptly. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey