Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,453 times

Advertisements

Looking to live near Hoboken/NYC with reasonable commute to Rockaway (less than 45min average) and close to transit rails to get to downtown. Need some suggestions. Thanks!

Where are you coming from? Houston, TX
Why are you moving? Job relocation
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Rockaway, NJ

Will you buy or rent? Rent (for at least 1yr)
What is your budget ? up to $3000/mo
What kind of place are you looking for ? House/Condo/Townhome/Apartment (in that order)

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Yes, Fiance, will be lookng for job when we get up there. Also have Dog (large breed)
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) Young, Artsy, close to parks to have somewhere to take dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 06:55 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkmastakrez View Post
Looking to live near Hoboken/NYC with reasonable commute to Rockaway (less than 45min average) and close to transit rails to get to downtown. Need some suggestions. Thanks!

Where are you coming from? Houston, TX
Why are you moving? Job relocation
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Rockaway, NJ

Will you buy or rent? Rent (for at least 1yr)
What is your budget ? up to $3000/mo
What kind of place are you looking for ? House/Condo/Townhome/Apartment (in that order)

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Yes, Fiance, will be lookng for job when we get up there. Also have Dog (large breed)
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) Young, Artsy, close to parks to have somewhere to take dog

I am afraid some what you are asking for are mutually exclusive. The commute from the Hoboken area to Rockaway is greater than 45 min. One possible solution would be the Morristown area, as Morristown has a direct train to Hoboken and the mid town direct for easy access. Morristown also fits your criteria of nice safe place to live, close to parks, and has a pretty vibrant social scene for the younger crowd. You can also find good housing available as either apts, condos, single family homes, all in your price range. I would add that as a central location it is also attractive for someone who is looking for employment (the fiance). I should add that when I say the Morristown area, I would include checking out Madison, Chatham, etc. (perhaps even Summit, though I think your commute to Rockaway might push pretty close to the limit of the 45 min commute)

I would caution that most apts, & condos in the area that allow pets (not all do allow pets) have size/weight restrictions, so finding a rental house might be the best bet.

Let me know if you want more info...

KoalaNJ

Old 11-04-2011, 07:10 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Look in South Orange. I think it would be a pretty good fit.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:28 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Look in South Orange. I think it would be a pretty good fit.
I think the commute from South Orange to Rockaway might be longer than the OP commute time restrictions.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:17 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
What about denville or morristown.
I would stay closer to work.. go away from work on weekends, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey