Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:17 PM

56 posts, read 675,482 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the dumb question but I'm hoping to have to pay property taxes by next fall. It would mean I finally have my own home. LOL How they bill you? Is it every month, quarterly, twice a year?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 06:31 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,371,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJeen View Post
Sorry for the dumb question but I'm hoping to have to pay property taxes by next fall. It would mean I finally have my own home. LOL How they bill you? Is it every month, quarterly, twice a year?

Thanks in advance.
It would be billed monthly. It's part of your mortgage payment.

Diane

Old 08-26-2007, 06:35 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,933,005 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I think every town does it differently - we are billed quarterly. You can always call the tax collector's office and find out what the tax rate is, how often you're billed, etc.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:34 PM

56 posts, read 675,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post

Diane
Ohh so if the property tax for a townhome is 5,000 a year for example, I would have an additional $416 per month in payment?

Old 08-26-2007, 07:59 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,707,226 times
Quote:
Ohh so if the property tax for a townhome is 5,000 a year for example, I would have an additional $416 per month in payment?

if your mtg. co. requires you pay escrow, then yes.

i asked my credit union if i could pay my taxes and insurance on my own, and they agreed. so my mtg payment is p&i, and i, on my own, put $x amount away each month and drive to my tax office every quarter and give a check. i prefer this since i'm not required to have 3+ months in escrow as a cushion (in other words, when you close, you'll be required to have a quarter's worth of taxes and insurance in escrow PLUS what's due at that time).

Old 08-26-2007, 10:36 PM

329 posts, read 1,443,375 times
Quote:
I pay my property taxes and homeowners insurance through my mortgage. The taxes are paid on a quarterly basis thru the escrow account to the township. I receive a yearly statement from the tax accessor's office usually during the third qtr.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:51 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,100,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post

Diane
Not necessarily. Unless you set up an escrow is isn't. Most mortgage companies will ask you to do this and then you pay the taxes quartely from your mortgage company. They basically divide you taxes by 12 and add it to your mortgage payment. I would say to call your mortgage company.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:12 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,678,621 times
In the four homes I have owned. The taxes were paid with the mortgage payment. Taxes ,divided by the 12 months and just like your example LJeen.
However, when you pay off the mortgage as we have now. We can pay the taxes in one lump sum. Or in different payments, depending on how the town tax assessor requires.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 163,651 times
Every bank is different, it's much easier and usually cheaper to try and pay them yourself to avoid Escrow and sometimes banks like to charge you for ther "Service" of paying your taxes, My friend was paying upwards of 400 a year for that "Service"

Check with the bank would be my advice. Anything we say will not matter much.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 145,246 times
If my property taxes are reduce how does that affect my mortgage payment.My taxes are included in that payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey