Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 02:19 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times

Advertisements

What are these towns like? walkable? Safe? I haven't had a chance to visit, but I've seen some housing in my price range. I work in JC so also need decent commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 02:58 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
Manville is VERY prone to flooding. Most of the town was underwater when Irene hit.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:04 PM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Every city and town has good sections and bad sections, and the ones that you listed are no different. However, the extremes between good and bad are less extreme in Manville and Raritan than in Somerville and Bound Brook. They are all walkable, in terms of being able to get anywhere in town by walking, but in the case of Somerville and Bound Brook, there are areas that would not be good to walk around in--especially at night.

As to an easy commute, all of the towns you listed have a station for NJ Transit's Raritan Valley line--with the exception of Manville. However, the Bridgewater and Somerville RR stations are just a very short drive from Manville.

Regarding Manville and Bound Brook, be very careful about flood zones. Manville was clobbered REALLY hard by the recent storms, and Bound Brook also had flooding, although nothing like the flooding that they used to get, thanks to a US Army Corps of Engineers flood prevention program. The reasonable housing prices that you saw for those two towns are, to a large extent, a reflection of their reputations as towns that flood in any major storm.

Bound Brook's downtown area is now essentially a Hispanic colony, and you would likely have problems communicating with most of the merchants there.

If I was choosing among the four towns that you listed, I would opt for either Somerville or Raritan. Both have enough decent areas that you should be able to find a house that you like, in a safe area. Somerville is a "restaurant destination town" on Friday and Saturday nights, and it has a downtown shopping district that is in the process of being revived nicely.

One curious thing to be aware of with Raritan is that everything in that town revolves around the memory of Sgt. John Basilone, a WW II hero and recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor. Apparently, nothing of note has ever taken place in Raritan since the late hero's death in combat in 1945.
Still, it is a decent town.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:32 PM

328 posts, read 1,049,191 times
I don't know much about Bound Brook (other than there are decent sections and yucky sections) but the other towns are definitely walkable. I get a little nervous at night in Somerville but I've never had any problems. It's probably the most active at night (restaurants, etc) so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I would definitely think about that town.

Manville is prone to flooding but only certain sections - the Lost Valley section (east of Main Street), the first couples streets near the main drag and the homes along Duke Parkway. It's really not a bad town otherwise. If you looked now, it would be very obvious what areas flood and which don't. The Weston section and the higher number streets (which get closer to Hillsborough are pretty decent). The downtown is a little boring but certainly walkable.

Raritan is also a nice little town but it might be worth driving buy any properties you are interested in. Some of the houses are a little too close. Parts of Raritan flooded out during Irene. You couldn't get through Rt 206 in Raritan (between Somerville and Hillsborough). They are definitely proud to be the town where John Basilone came from but I don't think that's a bad thing. They have a huge parade every September but fire trucks, ambulances, military and high school marching bands come from all over so it's a lot of fun.

In any of these towns, houses WILL get water in the basement (flood areas or not) so I'd look for a sump pump! But again, if you look now, you'll be able to see what will happen in the most extreme weather.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:32 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digi21 View Post
They are definitely proud to be the town where John Basilone came from but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Please note that I did not say that it was a bad thing.
However, I do find it curious that nothing noteworthy seems to have taken place in Raritan since the days of Sgt. Basilone and his heroism.

Every town needs some way to promote its image, but--Why can't the powers that be in Raritan extol some virtues of the town in addition to the fact that it was the home of Sgt. Basilone? I am not minimizing his contribution to the war effort, but--in the 60+ years since WW II, hasn't anything interesting or important taken place in that town? Haven't any other noteworthy people come from that town?

Raritan needs to find additional ways to promote itself, because as "The Greatest Generation" dies off, fewer and fewer younger folks will consider the story of Sgt. Basilone to be relevant to their lives.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:46 AM

328 posts, read 1,049,191 times
I'm not really understanding your point. Yes, there is a core group in the town of Raritan that likes to promote pride over being the hometown of John Basilone. But what else should Raritan do? I doubt they will get rid of the parade. St Ann's has their annual Festa with awesome food - they promote that a lot

What does Manville, Somerville or Bound Brook do to promote themselves? Poor Manville and Bound Brook have the horrible "flooding reputation." You just mention either of those towns and people shriek "Flooding! Don't think about moving there!" The reality that there are flood zones and there are non-flood zones. A good realtor should help you out there.

Manville has their annual Sacred Heart festival with Polish food that people travel from all over for. Somerville has the St Patrick's day parade. (Again, I just don't know as much about Bound Brook). But what else do these towns "promote" themselves over? I guess Somerville promotes it's restaurant/shopping destination but I'm not sure what other interesting things should these towns be advertising???

If you look at the bigger and often more expensive towns nearby (Hillsborough, Bridgewater, etc), how do they promote themselves? Flemington promotes the fact that it was home to the Lindberg trial.... maybe that's pushing it as well (how long ago was that and when will people stop caring???)

Old 09-13-2011, 12:47 PM

901 posts, read 2,247,801 times
Out of those downs, I would without hesitation put Somerville at the top of the list. Highest ranked High School, best downtown, train station in town. My only sitpulation is that you want to be on the best side of town and that is north of downtown b/w town and RT 22.

Raritan is a distant second

As one pointed out Manville and Bound Brook have flooding problems, and the schools are not good.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:01 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Out of those downs, I would without hesitation put Somerville at the top of the list. Highest ranked High School, best downtown, train station in town. My only sitpulation is that you want to be on the best side of town and that is north of downtown b/w town and RT 22.

Raritan is a distant second

As one pointed out Manville and Bound Brook have flooding problems, and the schools are not good.
Raritan sends kids to Bridgewater/Raritan HS which is rated much better than Somerville HS.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:00 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdd View Post
raritan sends kids to bridgewater/raritan hs which is rated much better than somerville hs.
+1

Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 AM

683 posts, read 464,254 times
There is only one area in Somerville that is questionable, and that's where that old cemetary is...no many homes in that area. Somerville has a thriving downtown, and beautiful renovated older stately homes, and terrific neighborhoods near the hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey