Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 PM

5 posts, read 11,117 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from?
Queens

Why are you moving?
Son will start Pre-K this year. Tired of the noise of the city.

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
I'm working in Soho/Greenwich Village. Wife is working in Queens, but she would probably look for another job in Manhattan or NJ.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent

What is your budget ?
We wouldn't like to go above $2000.

What kind of place are you looking for ?
3 bedroom or large 2 bedroom, preferably in a low-rise building or private house. Proximity to a park, bus/train station would also be important.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Wife, 2 children and mother.

Do you need/want good public schools?
Yes, that's the main reason for moving

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
Safe neighborhood, families with young children, commute at most 1.5 hours door-to-door.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
Family oriented, safety, outdoor activities.

I've been looking at rents, but the inventory is much smaller in many of these good town like Montclair, Maplewood, Fair Lawn, Ridgewood than in Queens. Everyone seems to own, leaving you with far less options. Is there any point in looking further or better just stay in Queens?

Thank you!

Last edited by xavi26; 02-15-2012 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:16 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Look at Hawthorne, too, OP. Also check out Midland Park. I used to rent a 3 BR house there for $2200. Commute was about an hour and 20 minutes by train from Ridgewood. (Bus takes you from MP to Ridgewood station.). Very safe town and decent schools.

Also Waldwick. Hawthorne and Waldwick have train stations.

Yes, there are fewer rentals, but they do exist.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,748 times
All great suggestions as always by Mightyqueen, she knows her Jersey! Would also suggest further south in Bergen County for more rental options and a bit quicker commute to NY. Schools will be better in northern Bergen County, but a "bad" school in Bergen County is light years better than NYPS. Perhaps Rutherford/East Rutherford? Train station is right on the town's borders, great area, nice downtown area, buses a plenty as well. River Edge, Oradell, Westwood all also have train stations and are nice towns and have rentals. You'll find more garden style apartments (no more than 2 floors) and 2 family houses around there.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 PM

^^ should also note, these stations are not on direct to Penn. You'll have to transfer at Secaucus for a Midtown Direct or ride it to Hoboken and grab the PATH. The fares of Midtown Direct transfer vs PATH are pretty comparable, so it really depends on where in Manhattan yer goin.

Where in Queen are you moving from? Curiosity really, I just moved from Queens to NJ last year myself.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:27 AM

You had good suggestions there, too, brokenaperature.
I know SOME parts of Jersey. On some threads I have nothing to contribute because I don't know the towns at all.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You had good suggestions there, too, brokenaperature.
I know SOME parts of Jersey. On some threads I have nothing to contribute because I don't know the towns at all.
The places you know, you KNOW.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:28 PM

292 posts, read 718,831 times
Don't think Hawthorne is so safe, doubt the schools are good. Midland Park is worth a look, but I'd look in Little Falls or Oakland, preferably Little Falls given you work in NYC.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:37 PM

Hawthorne is unsafe? Really? And for someone coming from Queens?

Old 02-18-2012, 05:09 PM

5 posts, read 11,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
^^ should also note, these stations are not on direct to Penn. You'll have to transfer at Secaucus for a Midtown Direct or ride it to Hoboken and grab the PATH. The fares of Midtown Direct transfer vs PATH are pretty comparable, so it really depends on where in Manhattan yer goin.

Where in Queen are you moving from? Curiosity really, I just moved from Queens to NJ last year myself.
Thanks for the reply.

We're living in Flushing.

I work in the Soho, West Village area. I think it's almost the same if I take PATH downtown or transfer in Midtown at the PA.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
Don't think Hawthorne is so safe, doubt the schools are good. Midland Park is worth a look, but I'd look in Little Falls or Oakland, preferably Little Falls given you work in NYC.
Are you kidding? Hawthorne is certainly safe, and their schools are fine. Not at the top of the list, but not at the bottom, either. Little Falls is about the same school-wise, but it floods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey